USBUART Descriptor

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I am trying to get my USUART project up and working and, thus far, it's been working pretty well.  The one issue I'm having is setting up the device descriptors correctly.  It's possible some of these things I can't change since we're using Cypress' USB Vendor and Product ID (I'm not really looking to pay for this myself so I get if some of it's not configurable).

Below is what I'm currently using as settings for my USBUART:

pastedImage_1.png

This is what I'm seeing when I plug my device in:

pastedImage_0.png

I'd like to be able to change the following information:

1)  Cypress USB UART (this might actually be determined using the Vendor and Product ID but this is probably the item I'd like to change the most if at all possible)

2)  Manufacturer

3)  Model Number

4)  Categories

5)  Description

Basically, I want to be able to change everything, if at all possible.  I just don't know where to edit this things.

I tried searching the forums but didn't have any luck (which kind of surprises me.  I would've guessed this would be a common question but maybe the thread exists somewhere and I just looked past it).  If someone knows or could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

10 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

You need to modify the  USBUART_cdc.inf file as shown to get these changes implemented.But, for signed driver in that case, you will have to contact Microsoft Inc.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response! Is there no way to set this from within the project or is this a bug in the USBUART module? The fields exist but they're not populating the *.inf file? If I rebuilt my code, wouldn't it refresh this day and I'd have to update the*.inf file again?

0 Likes

Presently, this feature is not there in USBUART component.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do we request this feature be added? This feature was a part of the initial component that was imported in 3 years ago or so. A little disappointing to see that part of the component take a step backwards rather than forwards

0 Likes

Which version of USBFS component has this feature, can you please mention that

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

USBUART 1.0

Below is the interface (specific text blocked out to hide company name):

pastedImage_2.png

It was pretty simple in comparison to the most recent version (I'm guessing the newest version is a lot more functional) but in the initial 1.0 version, what was in the *.inf file was configurable from the configuration screen (particularly the manufacturer and product string).

Looking at the above version, it would appear that the "product string" gets placed in the "model" box but the "manufacturer string" isn't being placed in the "manufacturer" box.

0 Likes

By using the older version were you able to change the "Cypress USB UART " which is most required in the application.

The PSoC Creator generated .inf file is not Signed, signed USBUART driver can be obtained at this link:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/microsoft-certified-usb-uart-driver

If any change is made in the signed driver even by firmware or component, driver will not remain signed from Microsoft

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that this is working correctly with the original USBUART component:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

It seems to work just fine with the previous version but it doesn't not appear to work this way with the new USBUART component.

0 Likes

Presently, this feature is not there in USBUART component.Enhancement request for USBFS component for PSoC5LP I can make, but I am not sure for its timeline for implementation or whether it will be implemented or not.

0 Likes

Its not a bug in the USBFSv_3_20 component.There will be no modification to the component to generate INF file.
It should be done manually, which gives more flexibility for the user.

0 Likes