What does "two IDACs can be put in parallel to form an 8-bit IDAC" mean?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YoIs_1298666
Level 5
Level 5
250 sign-ins 100 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hello,

I have a question about the iDAC on CY8C4024LQI-S401.

There is the explanation that two IDACs can be put in parallel to form an 8-bit IDAC in IDAC7 Component Datasheet.

What that mean like below?

pastedImage_1.png

and can I set the different range like below?

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.png

Best regards,

Yocchi

CY8C4024LQI-S401

0 Likes
1 Solution
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee
25 likes received 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Yocchi,

Your schematic is correct. Adding iDACs in parallel is one way of increasing maximum current and adding resolution.  I wrote an appnote on doing this several years ago for the PSoC 3/5 parts, but the concept is the same.  See Cypress Appnote AN64275.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee

Yocchi,

Your schematic is correct. Adding iDACs in parallel is one way of increasing maximum current and adding resolution.  I wrote an appnote on doing this several years ago for the PSoC 3/5 parts, but the concept is the same.  See Cypress Appnote AN64275.

Regards,

Mark

Hi, Mark

Thank you for your reply.

In case of PSoC4000S, I think 14bit DAC can be put with two 7bit DAC like below.

Is it right?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

And we are anxious about glitch.

Unfortunately, PSoC4000S does not have "Strobe_Mode". Can we eliminate it using other method?

both DACs cannot be written at the exact same time. This glitch can be eliminated by setting the „Strobe_Mode‟

parameter to „External‟ in the customizer of each DAC. Then connect both strobe inputs to the same clock source.

Best regards,

Yocchi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining the two IDACs as you show above should work for making a larger 14-bit IDAC.

0 Likes

Yocchi,

There is only so far you can go and you really can't get 14-bits out of two 7-bit DACs.  On paper you might be able to, but the absolute DNL of the hardware does not change, worse case it is 1 LSB for 7 bits, 2 LSBs for 8 bits, 4 LSBs for 9 bits, etc. You may be able to get a usable 9-bits, but the DNL may be more than you can tolerate.

Stobe mode, I keep asking for it, but since these DACs were primarily used for Cap Sense, it was felt there wasn't a need for it.  If I had my way, ALL of our DACs would have a double-buffered strobe mode.  I love the viDACs in PSoC 3/5 because of their flexibility, strobe/direct mode, voltage/current, and the DAC Bus!

Mark

Mark,

I also second to make IDAC's double-buffered. Currently PSoC5 IDAC8 is single buffered, so there is no way to use hardware bus to populate buffers of several IDACs and then enable the outputs simultaneously.

/odissey1

0 Likes
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee

That is correct with the PSoC 3/5 Dac Bus, the strobe loads the data directly from the bus to the output.  When using the CPU or DMA to write the data, the PSoC 3/5 viDACs are double buffered.  The output isn't updated until the strobe signal is pulsed.

Mark

0 Likes