UART port can't be accessed

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably a very simple/dumb question, but I'm new with Cypress technology, and after trying in different ways, I can't make any of my projects to use a UART module to report the status of the execution.

The project is compiled and transferred without any problem to my PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer kit, but for some reason, I can't open the serial port with the terminal app (I'm using putty). I even tried with one of the samples (UART_Low_Level_DMA) without any luck. When opening in putty, it reports this error:

puttyerrror.jpg

I've confirmed with the device manager, the port (in my case COM12) and tried with other different ports and configurations with a similar result.   This is how I'm doing my test:

1. With PSoC Creator 4.2 compile and upload the program to my pioneer kit
2. After closing Creator, I open putty and select the port and the parameters (115200, 8,N,1,N)

I'm using W10 64 bits and confirmed that putty can open other serial ports (i.e., a simple Arduino board connected). Thanks for your feedback.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

It should not be an issue I think, but just in case did you update the firmware of the Kit Prog?

Open PSoC Programmer, connect to the Kit Prog and then in the Utilities tab select update firmware.

Normally this kind of message are caused by other programs using/blocking the COM Port.

Did you restart the PC in case the driver got stuck somehow?

kind regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Please post you code so we can check it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I'm trying with the sample CE219656  PSoC MCU UART using low level APIS. I'm stuck when trying to connect using putty (see page 5, OPERATION, 2 step, Sample's documentation).

0 Likes

Hi,

It should not be an issue I think, but just in case did you update the firmware of the Kit Prog?

Open PSoC Programmer, connect to the Kit Prog and then in the Utilities tab select update firmware.

Normally this kind of message are caused by other programs using/blocking the COM Port.

Did you restart the PC in case the driver got stuck somehow?

kind regards,

Achim

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Aceh. Seems to be that restarting the PC (not just waking it up ) did the trick and now I can see the sample working as expected.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I tried this program on my kit CY8CKIT-062-BLE and it worked with out issues. Program compiled and it said that my  KitProg was out of revision SB 1.05 is 1.04 didn't affect the programming at all. My kitprog is at port 3 not 12 like your system.

0 Likes

I am using PUTTY!!

0 Likes