PSoC 4 OTA firmware update from another PSoC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BiKa_2115371
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi all,

My setup consists of a PSoC 4200 BLE based peripheral device acting as BLE Server Peripheral & another PSoC 4200 BLE based device acting as Central / Client  device. The Central / Client device has on it an UART interface.

What  I'm trying do is to update the firmware of the Server Peripheral device Over The Air (OTA) via BLE channel, by using the Central / Client device. In other words, the Central Client should emitted -via BLE- the new Firmware to the Server / Peripheral.

I do OTA by using the CySmart application as firmware transmitter for the Server / Peripheral, and works fine. But I can't find a way to send the firmware from another PSoC 4200 BLE device.

What I am asking is if this is viable or not. The firmware could be send to Central / Client device via a UART interface.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bill

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. You can do OTA upgrade with the CySmart USB dongle setup, which uses wireless BLE to send a firmware image to update the remote device's firmware. However, the transport method from UART to BLE/wireless doesn't have any examples online here, so you would start with the OTA update example, and then setup a BLE central device to robustly mimic the process.

Start with learning/understanding how the CySmart does the update, and once you understand that, you can rebuild it on another PSoC device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. You can do OTA upgrade with the CySmart USB dongle setup, which uses wireless BLE to send a firmware image to update the remote device's firmware. However, the transport method from UART to BLE/wireless doesn't have any examples online here, so you would start with the OTA update example, and then setup a BLE central device to robustly mimic the process.

Start with learning/understanding how the CySmart does the update, and once you understand that, you can rebuild it on another PSoC device.

0 Likes

Hi pratt,

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, you're right, the PSoC 4 based dongle does firmware update in my target device. But as far as I have to build my own hardware to do this upgrade, I wonder if somewhere there is an firmware example for it, or (even better) if the firmware source code of PSoC 4200 BLE dongle is available.

Best Regards

Bill

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand what you are asking, this should be exactly what you are looking for: PSoC-4-BLE/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day025_BLE_Over_The_Air_Update at master · cypresssemiconductorc...

(The 100 projects in 100 days has the best source of BLE examples from what I've seen/used)

The trick would be modifying the chip firmware to receive the image over uart smoothly, as once you get it to the PSoC device, it becomes a simple matter of doing the BLE OTA update.

(Timing may be really slow depending on actual firmware code )

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi i am also interested in this. bascal have you got this going? ​

0 Likes