CYBLE 222014-01 and EZ Serial

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I've inherited a project that was meant to implement the aforementioned BLE module. Assuming that the modules I have purchased are in fact loaded with the EZ Serial firmware (I can't scan the data matrix code unfortunately... but if it helps, I did just buy the modules last week, so I think they should have the firmware preloaded?)

In which case, I was wondering what minimal setup is necessary to get these running with an external micro trying to communicate via UART. The previous designer had created connections for:

UART_RX

UART_TX

UART_RTS

UART_CTS

RESET

LP_STATUS

PWM0

PWM1

CONNECTION (hardwired to an LED)

And that's about it. It seems with this setup, I am incapable of the "Smart MCU Host with 4 Wire UART and Full GPIO Connections". Seemingly I can do "Dumb Terminal Host with CYSPP and Simple GPIO State Indication". Admittedly, I am not terribly familiar with what CYSPP is (some sort of Cypress proprietary service/characteristic for data transfer?). In dumb mode can I still do things like create my own characteristics and services?

And finally, if I have my module powered on properly, should I be able to see it if I use a bluetooth sniffing program? Even if I haven't done any sort of programming or serial writing to the module? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

The EZ-Serial Module starts advertising as soon as you power cycle.

1)  The modules comes with pre-programmed EZ-Serial Firmware.

2) The EZ-Serial Firmware supports UART Flow Control. (http://www.cypress.com/file/384521/download   page#11)

3) CYSPP is Cypress proprietary serial communication profile.(Refer page #223 for more details )

4) You can create your own GATT DB entry ( Attributes, services , characteristics) using command  'gatts_create_attr' ( Refer user guide for more details)

Regards,

Gyan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't changed the settings on the serial device, there might be default settings that have it advertise (but I would guess no, it does not).

See here for application guide on the EZ-Serial module: http://www.cypress.com/file/285326/download

UART, power, and reset are more or less the only connections you need for the EZ-Serial to run I believe. The other pins are probably for your application/use.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is some sort of default BLE advertisement upon power of a brand new module? I'd just like at the minimum to make sure that it has been properly connected to my PCB.

As far as connectivity with an external micro controller. Are you familiar with the CYSPP mode?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

CYSPP is merely using the UART to control the BLE module iirc.

Similar to having an "API" to control the device. But I'm not sure at all about that.

0 Likes
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

The EZ-Serial Module starts advertising as soon as you power cycle.

1)  The modules comes with pre-programmed EZ-Serial Firmware.

2) The EZ-Serial Firmware supports UART Flow Control. (http://www.cypress.com/file/384521/download   page#11)

3) CYSPP is Cypress proprietary serial communication profile.(Refer page #223 for more details )

4) You can create your own GATT DB entry ( Attributes, services , characteristics) using command  'gatts_create_attr' ( Refer user guide for more details)

Regards,

Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would be the advertisement I should see on my bluetooth app? I'm in a room full of unnamed devices... hard for me to determine if I've powered up properly.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems I've been able to get it to power up. For anyone in a similar situation, the modules appear to advertise as

"EZ-Serial XX:XX:XX"

It seems that my reset should be held high and not low. I could not find instructions on this very clearly in the EZ-Serial guide, is there another manual that can provide more details on signal levels for the various IO of the module?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean a datasheet for the module like this: http://www.cypress.com/file/230691/download  ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to confirm, is it okay for me to only have connections to my UART pins and have all other GPIO pins as floating...?

Furthermore, just to confirm. If CYSPP is activated, I cannot use API mode, and therefore would not be able to do things like create my own services and characteristics, right?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The GPIO pins can float with no effects. You only need to connect the wires that are necessary (power, and the UART pins).