What is the time duration as the Cypress chip rewrites the Advertising Channel Indices?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the BLE 5.0 Specification :

"The Link Layer shall use the primary and secondary advertising channel

indices as specified by the Host, and the used primary and secondary

advertising channel indices shall take effect when the Advertising State is

entered.

So if I understand the spec correctly, with each advertising event, the Advertising Channel Indices are rewritten with each event.

Forgive my question, what is the time duration of this rewriting of the Advertising Channel Indices?  I guess that this occurs in less than 1 mS.  And that this rewriting is occurring concurrently with advdelay, the advertising delay inserted between each advertising event.  Advdelay is typically 10mS plus a random delay, if I remember the spec correctly.  Since it is concurrent with advdelay, I should just ignore the duration of the rewriting of the Advertising Channel Indices?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allen,

While starting Extended advertisement, the host has to specify the primary advertising channel map. With regard to secondary channel map, there is no exact specification. It is rather implementation dependent. The controller may use all the secondary channels or use only those specified by the host using channel map update command.

For example, host can tell the controller to perform primary advertisement on channels 37 and 38 (not on 39) and perform secondary advertisement on channels x,y,z.......

These are the "primary and secondary channel indices" specified by the host. The channels to be used are not specified before every event.

In every advertisement event, the primary advertisement is done on all the primary channels specified by the host (amongst 37, 38 and 39th channel). The secondary advertisement channel can change from ADV event to event. However, the host need not command the secondary channel to be used. The controller determines the secondary advertisement channel to be used. This will take very less time and won't affect the advertisement timings anyhow.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allen,

While starting Extended advertisement, the host has to specify the primary advertising channel map. With regard to secondary channel map, there is no exact specification. It is rather implementation dependent. The controller may use all the secondary channels or use only those specified by the host using channel map update command.

For example, host can tell the controller to perform primary advertisement on channels 37 and 38 (not on 39) and perform secondary advertisement on channels x,y,z.......

These are the "primary and secondary channel indices" specified by the host. The channels to be used are not specified before every event.

In every advertisement event, the primary advertisement is done on all the primary channels specified by the host (amongst 37, 38 and 39th channel). The secondary advertisement channel can change from ADV event to event. However, the host need not command the secondary channel to be used. The controller determines the secondary advertisement channel to be used. This will take very less time and won't affect the advertisement timings anyhow.