Trouble Shooting Resource PSoC6 Simple LED Program?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello:

I am not getting any board response after a successful build of the Hello World PWM project from PSoC 6 101 Lesson 1-3.

(RE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit  CY8CKIT-062-BLE)

Should I see upload activity reflected on LED 1 and 3 ?  I do not see any during or after the build.

Hitting the program icon does bring me to an acquire port screen which seems to reflect the board, and does cause LED 3 to blink slowly (1 Hz) but this is not the programmed blink of the RED component of LED 5.

I also noted that the video used a 063 target, I stayed with the 062 target of my kit.  (I also tried 063 target with no success).

While I suspect a computer port issue, I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot.  I have learned alot about PSoC Creator 4.2 in the week struggling with this, but am ready to move on.

Is there a troubleshooting resource for examining the success of the upload operation?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

Since PSoC 6 MCUs are dual core devices, you have to select one of the cores as the debug target before programming. Here are the steps you should follow after a successful build:

1. In PSoC Creator , choose Debug > Select Debug Target

pastedImage_12.png

2. In the "Select Debug Target" dialog box, select the CM4 target, then click OK/Connect

pastedImage_15.png

3. Choose Debug > Program to program the device with the project

pastedImage_20.png

4. You can view the programming status in the lower left corner of the PSoC Creator window

pastedImage_21.png

For more details, please see section 6.8 of  AN210781 - Getting Started with PSoC 6 MCU with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Connectivity

Regards

Nidhin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Hello,

Just to confirm, are you using a CY8CKIT-062-BLE  kit with CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device or a different kit?

Thanks

Nidhin

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi- thanks for the response.

I am using the CY8CKIT-062-BLE.

I am assuming that uses the CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device, but do not know where to check on that.

Where do I look to confirm the device?

Is there a way of changing a device choice once the project has been created?

Is there a way of checking the device selection once the project has been created?

Note- from "last used" CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 is the device that the PSoC Creator 4.2 assumes when I start a project.

Additional information:

I eliminated my proposed "computer port issue" by obtaining and trying a PSoC 4 Pioneer kit and successfully programming and controlling the RGB LED, so I know the Creator is using the USB ports correctly.

I have also retried the Lesson 1-3 exercise with the following results:

• No LED action
  • Successful build (report)
  • 1 Warning (see attached) Not sure if this is a clue

Thanks, Chris

0 Likes

Please attach the project archive.

Thanks in advance

Nidhin

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the note:

I have had great success with the PSoC 4 - 042 Pioneer Kit using the PSoC-Creator 4.2

I am very impressed and excited.

However I continue to have issues with the PSoC 6-062- BLE kit.  I get no on chip programming.

Using the PSoC 4 I get a chip programming report after the Build Step

--------------- Build Succeeded: 02/22/2018 11:52:02 ---------------

Programming device 'PSoC 4200 CY8C4245AX*-483' with file 'C:\Users\Chris\Documents\PSoC Creator\PSoC 4 101\Lesson 4 Hardware Pins.cydsn\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Lesson 4 Hardware Pins.hex'.

Device ID Check

Erasing...

Programming of Flash Starting...

Protecting...

Verify Checksum...

Finished Programming

Device 'PSoC 4200 CY8C4245AX*-483' was successfully programmed at 02/22/2018 11:52:04.

However with the PSoC 6 I get the successful build report bu no report on programming:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PDL\3.0.1\tools\win\elf\cypdlelftool.exe" --complete "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\PSoC Creator\PSoC 6 Tutorials\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.cydsn\CortexM4\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Lesson 3 Hello World LED_link.elf" "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\PSoC Creator\PSoC 6 Tutorials\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.cydsn\CortexM0p\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Lesson 3 Hello World LED_link.elf" --output "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\PSoC Creator\PSoC 6 Tutorials\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.cydsn\CortexM4\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.elf" --hex "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\PSoC Creator\PSoC 6 Tutorials\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.cydsn\CortexM4\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Lesson 3 Hello World LED.hex"

--------------- Build Succeeded: 02/22/2018 13:56:17 ---------------

The above come using the Build MENU.

If I use the Build Icon I get the following screen:

PSoC 6 Build.jpg

I have not been able to make this go any further.

You asked for the project archive to be attached. I have attached the build log.  I am not sure exactly what you want, but the attach function here did not allow me to attach the project file folder. 

Thanks,

0 Likes

Hello,

Since PSoC 6 MCUs are dual core devices, you have to select one of the cores as the debug target before programming. Here are the steps you should follow after a successful build:

1. In PSoC Creator , choose Debug > Select Debug Target

pastedImage_12.png

2. In the "Select Debug Target" dialog box, select the CM4 target, then click OK/Connect

pastedImage_15.png

3. Choose Debug > Program to program the device with the project

pastedImage_20.png

4. You can view the programming status in the lower left corner of the PSoC Creator window

pastedImage_21.png

For more details, please see section 6.8 of  AN210781 - Getting Started with PSoC 6 MCU with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Connectivity

Regards

Nidhin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Nidhin:

That was the step I was missing.  Everything worked very nicely.

Your help is much appreciated!

- Chris

0 Likes