Using PSOC5 as Voltage Monitor?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes given 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello, I'm looking to monitor 7 voltages: 0.85V, 0.95V, 0.9V - 1.1V, 1.5V, 1.8V, 2.5V and 3.3V. I was looking at the PSoc5 devices and was wondering if this would be a good choice to monitor these voltages. Can anyone comment on this or suggest a better device? I was also looking at Altera's MAX10 device but I would rather use a microcontroller.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
1 Solution

No problem at all. get hands on a CY8CKIT-059 and start.

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This is of course a question of

Frequency - How often need the values be sampled/s

Precision   - How many bits are needed

and last: What do you want to do with the 7 values?

Bob

0 Likes

Bob,

Hello, how about measure every second with a resolution of millivolts and send the values to a LCD display over SPI.

Joe

0 Likes

No problem at all. get hands on a CY8CKIT-059 and start.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes

Bob,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Is the PSoc6 a better choice than the PSoc5 on this topic of voltage monitoring?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes

The PSoC6 is a bit more complicated because it contains two MPUs which can be programmed individually. For your requirements a PSoC5 will be sufficient. Even a PSoC 4 would be enough to handle your requirements.

Bob

0 Likes

Thanks again!

0 Likes

Bob,

Hi, one more question for you. I'm looking at the datasheet for the PSoc 5LP family of microcontrollers and on page 4 they have 4 opamps in the Analog System block. My question is, can the Analog System sample any of the GPIO pins?  Or only the pins that have OPAMPxp/n, so that means I can only monitor 4 signals.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes

You can check the Code examples for ADC component available in Creator for PSoC5LP

0 Likes