make tools for Linux in WICED 4.x is too old

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a bug where during the download firmware process, tools/common/Linux64/make would run into segmentation fault. As it turns out, the make tool that came with the SDK is from version 3.8.1 (which was released in 2006!). Then I downloaded make ver 4.2 from the GNU/Make website and it works fine now on Ubuntu 16.04 x64. Just as a reference, the make.exe that came with the SDK for Windows seems to be built from the development version (the version number is a commit signature instead of x.y). Hope that this will be fixed in the next release!

13 Replies
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Right, and some users already feedback that it's easily to get segfault.

You can dig the old threads that the suggestion was to copy your /usr/bin/make to tools/common/Linux64/make.

Somehow cypress does not improve it.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Unfortunately, the updates and associated testing are not trivial, but we are looking into this internally to see if it could be incorporated into a major release. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes

mifo wrote:

Unfortunately, the updates and associated testing are not trivial, but we are looking into this internally to see if it could be incorporated into a major release. Thanks for the feedback.

mifo

The user's feedback is to make your sdk better.

From my point of view, updating new version of make is pretty trivial thing.

But the sdk-5.0 still use a very old version of make (v3.8.1).

0 Likes

mifo wrote:

Still hit segfault in sdk-5.2. The make tool never get update on Linux version of WICED.

0 Likes

Ticket had already been raised on this issue. I will follow-up to check the status.

0 Likes

There is no update in new sdk and people keep hitting segmentation fault  issue.

0 Likes

I used the current version of WICED and ran snip.scan-BCM943340WCD1 download download_apps run in my Linux PC. I also used ./make snip.scan-BCM943340WCD1 download download_apps run. I did not observe the segmentation fault issue.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

I used the current version of WICED and ran snip.scan-BCM943340WCD1 download download_apps run in my Linux PC. I also used ./make snip.scan-BCM943340WCD1 download download_apps run. I did not observe the segmentation fault issue.

Then you may want to check with jayi

why the blog post mentined that:

https://community.cypress.com/community/wiced-wifi/wiced-wifi-forums/blog/2015/05/22/wiced-ota-sdk-3...

**NOTE

If you are using Linux or OSX you might get the following error.

Downloading Bootloader ...

make: *** [main_app] Segmentation fault: 11

No changes detected

In this case you should copy the make file over to the following location from your built-in make file. For the OSX, you might have to install Xcode and then copy the make file.

- Linux 32bit: /tools/common/Linux32

- Linux 64bit: /tools/common/Linux64

- OSX: /tools/common/OSX

I believe your colleague can confirm this can happen.

Besides, did you check the make tool that came with the SDK?

It's is true that it is so old version as josh.yu_1995211 pointed out in the beginning of this thread.

0 Likes

The community blog post dates back to 2015 when the issue existed. But we had filed a bug report for this and had this fixed in the latest SDK version. I used make --version in my Linux system and the version it showed was GNU Make 4.1, not the 3.8.1 as stated in the first statement.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

The community blog post dates back to 2015 when the issue existed. But we had filed a bug report for this and had this fixed in the latest SDK version. I used make --version in my Linux system and the version it showed was GNU Make 4.1, not the 3.8.1 as stated in the first statement.

grsr,

To make it clear:

1. The ./tools/common/Linux64/make ./tools/common/Linux32/make are both with version 3.8.1 in sdk-6.0.1

So I'm not clear what is the latest sdk you mean.

ps. I hope you use ./tools/common/Linux64/make rather than just make when you check the make version.

2. The "Replace copy_bootloader_output_for_eclipse: build_done at line 104 with copy_bootloader_output_for_eclipse: build_done APPS_LOOKUP_TABLE_RULES and then build the project." has side-effected as I point out (build regression):

https://community.cypress.com/thread/8502?start=15&tstart=0

3. The point I keep pointing out the make tool is too old is because

when users hit segmentation fault, mifo provide the old link to the users asking them to replaces the make.

My point is if keep asking users to replace the make tool works, why not make it work out-of-the-box by update

the tool in SDK.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I used WICED Version: Wiced_006.000.001.0005 to test the make version. I checked the make versions of both Linux32 and Linux64. The version was 4.1. I have attached screenshot for your reference. We will discuss point 2 in https://community.cypress.com/thread/8502. Regarding point 3, I will check with the engineers. I believe it is not just for make, but this could be for any third party tool included in WICED.

0 Likes

Ok. After using ./make, I was able to see 3.81 which means this has not been changed. I will discuss this with the engineers.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

Ok. After using ./make, I was able to see 3.81 which means this has not been changed. I will discuss this with the engineers.

On sdk-6.2, the make is still v3.8.1.

$ ./tools/common/Linux64/make --version

GNU Make 3.81

0 Likes