Getting Up and started with BCM92073X_LE_KIT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have just ordered the BCM92073X_LE_KIT and BCM9WICED_SENSE development kit. Just in general I would like to get the kit up and running, maybe have an example talking to an app on my iphone? Is there guides for this?

Once I have the module working I want to get it going for my application. I want to read a pressure sensor via SPI and then send it via Bluetooth to a tablet/phone.

I am new to broadcom and a beginner when it comes to Bluetooth as this is my first project working with it. Any tips, examples, datasheets, app notes or tutorials?

Thanks in advance,

Luke.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) is probably the best place to start.  However, our tools assume a background in low level embedded development and the Bluetooth stack.

The Bluetooth development kits from Anaren and ACKme Networks are much better suited for beginners.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) is probably the best place to start.  However, our tools assume a background in low level embedded development and the Bluetooth stack.

The Bluetooth development kits from Anaren and ACKme Networks are much better suited for beginners.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My supervisor has ordered this board for evaluation so I must stick with this development kit. What would be the best example to show this device work over Bluetooth? Maybe to an app on my iphone?

0 Likes

llynch

You could use the Heart Rate Monitor application that is referenced in the WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) to start (document walks you through setting up your first application with this board).

You will need to download a BLE scanner like LightBlue as well, which is available for iOS and is described in the Quick Start guide as well. We also product our own WICED Smart LE Explorer (scanner), but it's only available on Google Play (Android).

In addition, there is a "Find Me" proximity application available for free within the iOS and Google Apps stores. This application uses the “proximity” application that's avaialble within SDK 2.x (RSSI based).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

mwf_mmfae

I will set up this example as soon as it arrives. In terms of the wireless charging, is there any datasheets/app notes on this?

0 Likes

While we support profiles for Wireless Charging within the SDK, the actual wireless charging reference design has been pushed out based on alot of fluctuations within the A4WP standard. We expect to have a HW solution for this application later this year.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

mwf_mmfae

That is ok.

As i am new to this what would be the best example/datasheet etc to learn basic functions for example:

sending data via bluetooth

receive data via bluetooth

setting up a bluetooth application i.e. the basics, advertising, what to declare etc.

I will be using the unit as a peripheral.

Thanks

0 Likes

There is no documentation that walks you through setting up an application, only sample apps in the SDK that you can customize.  However, at least 5 years of embedded development experience is needed to grasp many of these applications as there is limited inline documentation.

This is why I recommended the others at the beginning of this thread as the barrier to entry is far lower. Customers have told us they were able to build applications with the Anaren Atmosphere solution in days, where they had spent months trying to use our environment for the same.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the difference between bcm92073X and Anaren / ACKme?

0 Likes

Anaren and ACKme made modules out of BCM2073x chips. These modules are meant to allow IOT customers, some of whom may not be in the electronics industry at all, to have a quick turn around product development cycle. Check them out.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the Anaren and ACKme modules are using the BCM2073x chip while the BCM92073_LE_KIT is using the BCM92073. What is main differences hardware wise?

I will see how i get on with the BCM92073_LE_KIT kit, i may think bout ordering one of the above kits.

0 Likes

The BCM92073_LE_KIT uses the BCM20737 as well as the Anaren and ACKme boards.

Their boards just abstract you away from alot of the low level details/distractions that our solution presents.

I was able to get a project up and running on the Anaren MSDK Series (Multi-Sensor Dev. Kit) in about 10 mins.

These partner modules also come with full regulatory approvals, not just LMA (Limited Modular Approval) like our module, so you will not have to hassle with that aspect either.

In addition, both vendors offer a path to our SDK from their solution, so you are not trapped in one environment or the other.

0 Likes