Can you switch the profiles that the BLE component uses on the fly?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnSa_1225656
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

I have a fixed stack bootloader application that I built, but from time to time, would like to update the profile.  I don't really need to update the BLE stack, so the memory price to implement a upgradeable stack is too high.  I simply want to be able to add custom attributes/characteristics to the existing profile.  My thought was that I could do that with a profile only BLE component in the bootloadable application and swap it in over the bootloader version when the bootloadable gets loaded?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the relevant thread that I was referring to here: Re: Multiple profiles, supported?

The answer is no unfortunately.

Theoretically, you could implement a profile, and then just operate on the profile service values/attributes with application code, which would allow you to update how the values/attributes are handled in the application code, but that would defeat the purpose of having data separated into individual services...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Iirc, there was a post asking a similar question (switching BLE profiles), and I want to say that the conclusion was no. There is no way to switch the profiles dynamically on the fly; But, I don't know for sure...

0 Likes

Hmm, I did not see the post come up in my search.  I'll try and dig some more.  It sure would be handy!!  And it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

0 Likes

Thanks to your guidance, I was able to find this "Supporting two profiles BLE", but it does not give any discussion about how to actually do it.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the relevant thread that I was referring to here: Re: Multiple profiles, supported?

The answer is no unfortunately.

Theoretically, you could implement a profile, and then just operate on the profile service values/attributes with application code, which would allow you to update how the values/attributes are handled in the application code, but that would defeat the purpose of having data separated into individual services...

0 Likes