Which motion sensor chip is on the E-ink display shield?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
brhac_2733866
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Which motion sensor chip is on the E-ink display shield coming with the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit?

Is an example project available for this motion sensor yet? (-> https://community.cypress.com/thread/31304: "example project for the motion sensor will be available end of November")

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The motion sensor being used on the shield board is from Bosch, the BMI160. You can find the BOM for this shield board and other related kit files in the kit installer directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit).

For the example project, apologies for the delay. We are targeting early Q1 of next year for the example project release.

But in the meantime, you can interface with the BMI160 via I2C or SPI, using the Serial Communication Blocks (SCBs) provided in the PSoC 6 architecture.

Let me know if you have other questions or feedback.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The motion sensor being used on the shield board is from Bosch, the BMI160. You can find the BOM for this shield board and other related kit files in the kit installer directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit).

For the example project, apologies for the delay. We are targeting early Q1 of next year for the example project release.

But in the meantime, you can interface with the BMI160 via I2C or SPI, using the Serial Communication Blocks (SCBs) provided in the PSoC 6 architecture.

Let me know if you have other questions or feedback.

Thanks!

brhac_2733866
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Thanks for the info including the pointer to the BOM & schematic of the CY8CKIT-028-EPD shield.

I've previously used the BNO055 absolute orientation sensor (which includes a Cortex M0+ for sensor fusion) together with an Arduino Nano.  I'll probably start out by using the BMI160 with the E-ink shield on a 3.3V Arduino UNO since there already appear to be a number of Arduino libraries available for the BMI160.  Presumably I will wait until your example project is available instead of porting the Arduino library to the M0+ in the PSoC 63 myself.

Using the shield on an UNO may perhaps also help figure out what the problem is that I'm experiencing with the E-ink display (-> https://community.cypress.com/thread/31993).

0 Likes

Bosch BMI160 w/PSoC 6 CY8CKIT-028-EPD - IoT Expert (Alan Hawse)

This article shows you how to make a complete test system using PSoC 6 to talk to the BMI160

-> https://iotexpert.com/2018/02/06/bosch-bmi160-psoc-6-cy8ckit-028-epd/

Nice!

0 Likes

Alan's article is a great tutorial on importing the Bosch driver for BMI160. We've recently made a ready-to-use code example for the PSoC 6 BLE kit + EPD shield - CE220675 PSoC 6 MCU Motion Sensor | Cypress Semiconductor

This example showcases usage of the BMI160 interrupt pin and two of the BMI160 features - orientation (using FIFO reads) and the in-built step counter. Do check it out

0 Likes