ProC4 XTAL issue

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anboc_1467431
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hello everyone,

I've designed a PCB with the ProC4 IC.

I'm encountering an issue when trying to debug my project. It falls into the CyClockStartupError function and I can't understand why.

This is the second revision of the board, before it worked without any problems. The only change I made between the two boards are the 24 MHz and 32768 kHz crystals.

Before were a 581-ST2012SB32E0HPWB from Mouser and a 775-3710 from RS Components.

Now the devices are XC1947CT-ND and XC1842TR-ND from Digikey.

Theoretically there are no differences between the oscillators, only on the load capacitance of the 24 MHz xtal.

I've changed the "Capacitance Trim Value" in the ECO section, but without any results.

The strange thing is that, if I upload the firmware on the demoboard or on the older board, it works. The demoboard crystals are again different than my first board.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Andrea

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be the first board you got is damaged, and that is why the other one is working?

Since your code/program works on other boards and kits, the issue is most likely a hardware problem. You should be able to jury-rig wiring/jumpers/cuts to see if they affect the issue by making it better or worse, and then just test different things on the board to see what affects it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Does XC1947CT-ND and XC1842TR-ND start up on the new board?

And I'm wondering that what will happen if putting XC1947CT-ND and XC1842TR-ND on the demoboard....

0 Likes
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Besides, which device are you using? PRoC BLE or some PSoC4 device?

0 Likes

Thank you for the answer. I'm using a PRoC BLE.

I have changed the 24 MHz crystal on one of the new boards with one of the oldest, and nothing happened. It continues to fall into the CyClockStartupError.

Another strage thing is that one of the boards with the new crystals is working perfectly.

The board are manufactured by a professional producer, so it seems very strange.

Any hints?

Thank you.

Andrea

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be the first board you got is damaged, and that is why the other one is working?

Since your code/program works on other boards and kits, the issue is most likely a hardware problem. You should be able to jury-rig wiring/jumpers/cuts to see if they affect the issue by making it better or worse, and then just test different things on the board to see what affects it.

0 Likes

Thank you, I also wondered about an hardware fail, but I don't know what to look at.

I solved by making a new design integrating the EZBLE module

Again, thank you everyone.

Andrea

0 Likes