What is side effects of CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() API for BLE server client programme ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jamec_2673086
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello,

I am jagir. I am working on an application in which I have used PSoC 4 Pioneer board as GAP peripheral & GATT server with a custom profile.

I need to read & write some parameter values to my board from Cy Smart Android app.

Now I have faced an issue that sometimes while reading my programme became hang & need to reset my board.

When I debug my code I get to know that in reading request event my programme hangs at CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() function, And if I comment out this function everything works fine read & write.

From the component datasheet, I get to know that "CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue()" used to read attribute values from Server database.

So my doubt is why this API cause hang & how without using it read operation works fine?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The way BLE works is:

The central will connect to the peripheral device, and read the peripheral device's GATTDB server using the command CyBle_GattcReadCharacteristicValue()

However, your question refers to the function CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() which is used when you want to read the GATTDB value on the peripheral device USING the code running on the peripheral device. Thus, if you try to call CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() from the central device, it will not work as the central device is not configured/running as a peripheral device with a GATTDB server on it.

jagir_2673086 wrote:

So my doubt is why this API cause hang & how without using it read operation works fine?

The reason it works fine without trying to handle the events is because the GATTDB is automatically interacting and handling read/write requests from the Central device coming to the peripheral device over the wireless channel. By default, the BLE profile/configurations will allow you to read/write to the peripheral profile from the CySmart application without any code changes. You will only need to handle the read/write events if you want additionally functionality: E.G. checking security requirements before allowing a write, changing values being returned by a read, etc.

Edit:

After reading your continuation questions/replies, I feel that the paragraph above is aimed more correctly at the question you are posing in your original post. My apologies for the confusion I caused with not understanding the question on the first read.

epratt

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you calling the cyble_processevents() on a timely basis? Not handling it before the next BLE window will cause issues;

Also, having an unhandled interrupt could potentially cause the chip to freeze as well.

0 Likes

yes, I am calling cyble_processevents() on a timely basis.

I did not get " Not handling it before the next BLE window".What does it mean?

About interrupt, Interrupt did not occur during BLE conversation.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under the BLE component there is a connection timing setting for Minimum and Maximum connection intervals; If you don't process the BLE events with a call to processtEvents() within that time frame, then it will cause unknown behavior on the BLE hardware and will cause either a disconnect, crash, or other bad things

This is set between 7.5 ms to 10 ms by default iirc.

0 Likes

Hi Pratt,

BLE_bless_isr is generated & handled internally by BLE stack.

So how to detect it is not handled & if it is, what should I do?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you ever end up with your code sitting in an infinite loop that has a comment saying "the processor should never get here" then it is not being handled, otherwise your code will continue to run through main as normal.

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Have you given maximum priority to the BLE interrupt?

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

Hi Hima,

BLE interrupt means BLE_bless_isr?

Priority is 3 to this interrupt.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lower the number, the higher the priority iirc; So, setting the BLE_bless_isr interrupt to 0 is a good idea. (You should test with both 0 and 3 being the highest to be sure however).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The way BLE works is:

The central will connect to the peripheral device, and read the peripheral device's GATTDB server using the command CyBle_GattcReadCharacteristicValue()

However, your question refers to the function CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() which is used when you want to read the GATTDB value on the peripheral device USING the code running on the peripheral device. Thus, if you try to call CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() from the central device, it will not work as the central device is not configured/running as a peripheral device with a GATTDB server on it.

jagir_2673086 wrote:

The reason it works fine without trying to handle the events is because the GATTDB is automatically interacting and handling read/write requests from the Central device coming to the peripheral device over the wireless channel. By default, the BLE profile/configurations will allow you to read/write to the peripheral profile from the CySmart application without any code changes. You will only need to handle the read/write events if you want additionally functionality: E.G. checking security requirements before allowing a write, changing values being returned by a read, etc.

Edit:

After reading your continuation questions/replies, I feel that the paragraph above is aimed more correctly at the question you are posing in your original post. My apologies for the confusion I caused with not understanding the question on the first read.

epratt

Hi Pratt,

I understand different use case of CyBle_GattsReadAttributeValue() & CyBle_GattcReadCharacteristicValue() API.

It is like if I have another development board acting as central and if it wants to read the characteristic value from a server then we can use "CyBle_Gattc" APIs. And if we want to read the characteristic values from peripheral we can use "CyBle_Gatts" APIs.

As in my case, i am reading & writing char value from CySmart App So none of above function would be used.

Thanks e.pratt_1639216 for this long explanation.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly! I think you are understanding it correctly

The CySmart App would only use the CyBle_Gatts... functions if you want the CySmart App to behave like a peripheral device, which it sounds like you are only using the CyBle_GattcReadCharacteristicValue() and CyBle_GattcWriteCharacteristicValue() APIs to have the CySmart App read and write values to a Peripheral device.

Glad I could help, good luck with your endeavors

epratt

0 Likes