Swapping eInk 2.7" display with a smaller size

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeIo_1586191
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

My PSoC6 Pioneer Board arrived last week but the eInk 2.7" display is not working as it won't update. I found an earlier post on the forum where another user had a similar problem and this user had purchased a new board so no insights given to the likely problem.

I just happened to have a 2.0" E-Ink display, so I thought I would plug this one into the shield to confirm that it is not something on the shield itself that is faulty.

As I am still learning, I wondered what would I need to change regarding all parameters used to configure the 2.7" display so that I can now use the 2.0" display.

I thought to start with the Eddystone example as this uses the eInk display too.

Here I see there is a display.c file which includes a screen_contents.c file. Within "screen_contents" I see there is an "instructions" constant. Is it correct to assume that I should shorten this? What about the image? Would this be too big for a 2.0" display? Maybe better just to comment this out.

Then there is this parameter "cy_eink_frame_t frameBuffer[CY_EINK_FRAME_SIZE];"

I see that CY_EINK_FRAME_SIZE is calculated as follows:  Size of an E-INK frame = size of an E-INK image = (264*176)/8 = 5808 bytes

So am I correct to assume I simply have to change this. I'm guessing as follow: (200*96)/8 = 2,400 bytes.

Anything else?

0 Likes
1 Solution
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Hi Colin,

From the debug text you've posted in Problem with E-ink display (shield) of PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit , it seems like the driver has reported a TFT panel breakage. We've initiated a Tech Support case to give you a replacement and get the original unit back for failure analysis. Please check your mail for details.

Thanks in advance,

Nidhin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Can you please try the code example http://www.cypress.com/ce218133  and see if it works? If it doesn't, you might have a defective display. In that case, please let me know. I'll create a support case to get you a replacement.

Unfortunately, you can not use any other E-INK displays with the shield since the hardware on the shield supports only the following part:

http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/271

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards

Nidhin

0 Likes

Hi Nidhin

Thanks for the feedback. I've loaded the ce218133 capsense example and nothing I'm afraid - the screen does not update.

I note that the red LED is illuminated.

Having a quick look at the code, would this be triggered by  Cy_GPIO_Write(LED_Red_PORT, LED_Red_NUM, LED_ON); when the InitDisplay function fails to detect the display.

The 2.0" display I was going to try is also from pervasivedisplays but, come to think of it, it is a couple of years old now.

Regards

Colin

0 Likes

Hi Colin,

Red LED on - means that  E-INK display hasn't been detected (see the page 5 of the code example documentation for details).  Please make sure that the shield is properly plugged in with all pins aligned with the base board. Also check if the E-INK display's connection to the board via connector J5 is proper and not loose. If you still get the Red LED indication, it means that the shield is faulty, Please revert back to me if this is the case, I'll start the process to get you a replacement.

Regards

Nidhin

0 Likes

Hi Nidhin

Yes, I've checked both shield alignment and J5 connection multiple times.

Regards

Colin

0 Likes
TareeshK_21
Employee
Employee
5 replies posted First solution authored First reply posted

Hi Colin,

I remember the other user had the cypress logo on the shield, is it the same for you ?

Regards

Tareesh

0 Likes

Yes, that's correct. Well, the dev kit arrived with the logo on the display. When running the OOB demo for the first time, the screen did not do anything and though the BLE comms and all the demos worked fine with the CySmart app. So I pulled the shield out and pushed back in to check connections and the display started to reset, as in it started to partially go black but then stopped and nothing more after that.

0 Likes

All nice and new...

20171228_115431.jpg

Screen started to do something but just froze forever more...

20180102_172112.jpg

0 Likes
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee

Hi Colin,

From the debug text you've posted in Problem with E-ink display (shield) of PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit , it seems like the driver has reported a TFT panel breakage. We've initiated a Tech Support case to give you a replacement and get the original unit back for failure analysis. Please check your mail for details.

Thanks in advance,

Nidhin

0 Likes