Problem with E-ink display (shield) of PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
brhac_2733866
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

I just received my PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit a couple of days ago and have been going through the example projects.  Basically, they all function correctly with my board, however the E-ink display unfortunately always only shows the Cypress logo & kit name instead of the UI that it's supposed to.  Maybe the shield is simply "broken", but since I'm reluctant to return the board now that I've finally got one, I'm hoping there might be some simple tips to identify the source of the problem (so that I can fix it myself).  I presume it's not a configuration/settings issue, because the display behaved this way from the very beginning, i.e. straight out of the box.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated - thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
TareeshK_21
Employee
Employee
5 replies posted First solution authored First reply posted

brunohaller_2733866

If the cypress logo is there then that means it was working before shipping, so it may have got damaged in transit.

I have attached a hex file that will test all the components of the board. Please program it onto the baseboard and run it at 3.3V.

It requires an UART interface, you can use a terminal application like TeraTerm in the following configuration to run it.

pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I assume that you removed the plastic cover on the display.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Is the Display shield plugged in to the correct pins? Does the display clear when you press the reset button on the motherboard?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Have you tried the example projects that comes with the kit installer? You can find them in the directory where you installed all the kit files, usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit\1.0\Firmware\PSoC 6 MCU\Hex Files

There is a project, "CE218133_EINK_CapSense", where the User's Guide for the kit will display on the E-ink, and you can scroll through the menu options using the slider and buttons on-board.

Let me know if this works on your board or not.

Thanks!

Michi Yoneda

0 Likes

I believe that the user said all of the projects worked correctly so I think he has some other issue with the display. Like it is not plugged in correctly or something else is causing the issue.

0 Likes
brhac_2733866
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

• Yes, I briefly tried out all the example projects that come with the kit including the CE218133_EINK_CapSense project. They all function correctly with my board and the CySmart app.
  • Yes, I did remove the plastic cover on the display immediately after unboxing.
  • Yes, the display shield is plugged into the correct pins. I unplugged and reinserted the shield several times.
  • No, the display does not clear when I press the reset button on the motherboard? The display always stays the same as originally shipped, i.e. shows the Cypress logo & kit name.
  • The DISP_PW R_EN of the power control load switch is HIGH (3.3V) when power is applied to the board.
  • I've inspected both boards visually for any obvious manufacturing/assembling errors but everything appears to be okay compared with the fotos of the boards in the kit guide.

Anything else that I can easily check before getting out my logic analyzer & scope? Thanks!

I opened a Case  at Cypress for your issue. 

There is a flex connector (J5) on bottom side of the E-INK Display Shield, which connects E-INK display to the PCB.

Check if that is properly inserted into the slot.

0 Likes

As far as I can see the flex connector J5 on the bottom side of the E-INK Display Shield is properly inserted into the slot.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Cypress engineer wants you to check these check the voltage level on VCC_3V3 and VCC_3V3_DISP? Thanks

0 Likes

VCC_3V3 (@ J1 pin 5) & VCC_3V3_DISP (@ R5=0ohm) are both 3.29 Volts

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Cypress gave me this answer. It would be easier/better to get the board  a replacement, if he has ordered through cy.com. Otherwise, he might have to route it through the channel he ordered the kit.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info.  Obviously, it's always easier to get a working replacement than to troubleshoot a defective(?) piece of hardware - but you learn a lot more when searching for the source of the problem! 🙂

In the meantime, I've ordered a second kit, which is operating correctly.  I inserted the "old" E-ink shield onto the "new" PSoC 6 motherboard and it doesn't function there either.  On the other hand, the "new" E-ink shield also works properly on the "old" PSoC 6 motherbroad.  So at least both PSoC 6 boards are fine - and they're the main reason for purchasing the kit.  Now that I can compare the "broken" shield with the working one I should be able to localize the error (hopefully) - and perhaps learn something about EPDs along the way (an interesting topic by its self ;-).

I'll report back, once I've found the error.

Please let me know if you eventually found the source of your eInk display problem. Looks like my eInk shield is also not working. Funny that I too thought of using a 3.3v Arduino to fault find and to test the other sensors (e.g. motion sensor). Did you ever go down this route?

0 Likes
lock attach
TareeshK_21
Employee
Employee

brunohaller_2733866

If the cypress logo is there then that means it was working before shipping, so it may have got damaged in transit.

I have attached a hex file that will test all the components of the board. Please program it onto the baseboard and run it at 3.3V.

It requires an UART interface, you can use a terminal application like TeraTerm in the following configuration to run it.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Thank you very much for the EINK_Test hex file, which I have run with the result shown below confirming that the EPD is failing and the sensors are working properly.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Display Not Detected

Sensor Output

Ambient Temperature 27.9 degC

Measured Temperature 29.9 degC

PDM Mic Ambient Noise Level: 19

PDM Mic Sound Level: 40

Motion Sensor ID = D1

Acc X = 0.263 Y = 0.746  Z = 10.693

Acc X = 3.092 Y = -7.021  Z = 13.658

Acc X = -7.091 Y = -0.004  Z = 7.855

Gyro WX = 0.341 WY = 0.993 WZ = 0.051

Test Results

EPD Black Screen Test:FAIL

EPD White Screen Test:FAIL

EPD CHECKER BOX1 Screen Test:FAIL

EPD CHECKER BOX2 Screen Test:FAIL

Thermistor Test:PASS

PDM Mic Test:PASS

Motion Sensor Test:PASS

OVERALL FAIL

Test is complete!

0 Likes

Thanks for the test program. I will flash and let you know the outcome.

0 Likes

I flashed my device and ran the test. I did not get through all the tests as the serial terminal would crash midway through (at different points depending if Termite or PuTTy).

It started by asking me to place a finger on thermistor, then it asked me press SW2 to start PDM mic test and make some noise. Then I got to moving/rotating the device about but then the serial monitor crashed.

But it seems to have passed as when I reload PuTTy I get the following as a printout

Ambient Temperature 19.6 degC

Measured Temperature 21.9 degC

PDM Mic Ambient Noise Level: 134

PDM Mic Sound Level: 160

Motion Sensor ID = D1

Acc X = -3.292 Y = -5.229  Z = 7.576

Acc X = -4.839 Y = 7.519  Z = 1.161

Acc X = -8.210 Y = 2.894  Z = 6.687

Gyro WX = -0.225 WY = 2.718 WZ = 0.159

s  Display Not Detected

0 Likes

LOL. Looks like I needed to be quieter and more gentle with little rotation movements during the test for it to complete without crashing.

Sensor Output

Ambient Temperature 19.1 degC

Measured Temperature 21.7 degC

PDM Mic Ambient Noise Level: 11

PDM Mic Sound Level: 68

Motion Sensor ID = D1

Acc X = -0.484 Y = 0.733  Z = 10.605

Acc X = 0.024 Y = 7.010  Z = 8.557

Acc X = -7.194 Y = 1.170  Z = 8.084

Gyro WX = 0.014 WY = 0.686 WZ = 0.087

Test Results

EPD Black Screen Test:FAIL

EPD White Screen Test:FAIL

EPD CHECKER BOX1 Screen Test:FAIL

EPD CHECKER BOX2 Screen Test:FAIL

Thermistor Test:PASS

PDM Mic Test:PASS

Motion Sensor Test:PASS

OVERALL FAIL

Test is complete!

0 Likes
lock attach

GerrikoIoT , brunohaller_2733866  I've attached a modified version of CE218133, that prints the error IDs, if any, from the E-INK hardware detection APIs. Can you please program this, and share the outputs ? Please use the same UART terminal settings as the previous project provided by Tareesh.

Regards

Nidhin

0 Likes

I've updated the firmware and ran the new test.

First I thought to see what would happen if no shield was inserted:

• CE218133 - E-INK Debug Mode *

Failure!: E-INK Hardware Check - PV_EINK_ERROR_ID

I then inserted my display shield and tried again:

• CE218133 - E-INK Debug Mode *

Failure!: E-INK Hardware Check - PV_EINK_ERROR_BREAKAGE

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info. I'll send a direct message for initiating the RMA process.

Regards

Nidhin

0 Likes

Same negative outcome with my EPD for the modified version of CE218133! 😞

*      CE218133 - E-INK Debug Mode      *

Failure!: E-INK Hardware Check - PV_EINK_ERROR_BREAKAGE

TareeshK_21
Employee
Employee

GerrikoIoT have you verified that the baseboard is functioning properly? if not you can try to toggle all the display related i/o pins (D2-D7, D10-D13) , in particular try D4 while keeping D3 and D5 low and see if those are functioning properly.

brunohaller_2733866​ since you have already verified that there is nothing wrong with your baseboard it is best to ask for a replacement.

0 Likes
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Hi Bruno,

From the debug text, it seems like the driver has reported a TFT panel breakage. We've initiated a Tech Support case to give you a replacement and get the original unit back for failure analysis. Please check your mail for details.

Thanks in advance,

Nidhin

0 Likes