Difference between PSOC creator blue tooth environment and WICED

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

I am wondering what is the difference between the PSOC creator wireless environment and that of WICED?  I know that  Creator works with the PSOC devices and the WICED works with cypress's wifi/bluetooth chips.  But what's the difference other than allowing the use of wifi?  Why wasn't the WICED features incorporated into  Creator? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

PSoC Creator was developed by Cypress to enable development on PSoC devices and continues to support PSoC BLE and PRoC modules. Likewise, WICED Studio was developed to support the Broadcom Bluetooth and WiFi devices. This continues to be the case and so,if you are looking at a device that starts with CY8C* or CYBL* then you need to use PSoC Creator and if you have a CYW* then you have a WICED device and need WICED Studio. We have a long-term strategy to simplify tool selection for these functionally related devices.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

PSoC Creator was developed by Cypress to enable development on PSoC devices and continues to support PSoC BLE and PRoC modules. Likewise, WICED Studio was developed to support the Broadcom Bluetooth and WiFi devices. This continues to be the case and so,if you are looking at a device that starts with CY8C* or CYBL* then you need to use PSoC Creator and if you have a CYW* then you have a WICED device and need WICED Studio. We have a long-term strategy to simplify tool selection for these functionally related devices.

0 Likes

ok, let me rephrase the question: 

If I am starting a new IOT project, and I have no previous experience with WICED or PSOC,  then can you tell me what advantage there is with  WICED devices compared to PSOC.  Is it just the development environment?   Is the WICED environment more suited for cloud type interactions?

Does  WICED offer flexibility of analog/digital configurability like PSOC/Creator?   

0 Likes

That is quite a big question. I'll try to direct you. I am sure we have something you can use!

If you need WiFi then you need to look into WICED devices. We have 802.11 WiFi devices with an integrated application processor as well as radio chips that you can connect up to a separate MCU. You can also get a module that has done this all for you (and certification).

If you need Bluetooth then you can get a WiFi/BT combo device or a Bluetooth-only device. There are WICED and PSoC solutions here. PSoC is a configurable SoC and we have BLE-enabled versions of that (no WiFi). If you like the idea of a very flexible MCU and are not using WiFi or traditional (aka classic) Bluetooth, then this could be a solution for you. The WICED Bluetooth solutions also support classic Bluetooth and both BR and EDR data rates.

I recommend you take a look at this page. It is a great starting point to find out about the IoT solutions.

Wireless Connectivity | Cypress Semiconductor

0 Likes

Hi yfs,

I am also trying to choose between Wiced and Creator at the start of a project with a couple of rookie engineers relying on my advice.

I was wondering whether you can tell us more about the long term strategy and the pros and cons of the two systems.

There seems to be very little info on Cypress based Bluetooth on the link you have above, would it be reasonable to assume that wiced is the way to go for a new project or is it more that the micro focussed approach is Cypress and the wireless (wifi) focus Wiced?

I had narrowed my choice of a starting chip to a CYBT-353027-02 which appears to be simple due to fewer pins and a CYBLE-224116-01 which appears to be more capable and complex.

The CYBLE-416045-02 would be my preferred route if it were in production but I'm about 6 months early.

I've done a few simple Cypress projects before but never with Bluetooth. We need the PSOC flexibility and hardware capability for a single chip embedded solution fitted to flexible circuits printed directly on 3D printed objects as an R&D project mainly for aerospace.

The chip needs to interface with serial digital sensors, maybe encoders, analogue sensors etc but this is likely to lead to further projects so I don't want to change development environments if the system goes obsolete.

Yfs, you said that if devices starts with CY8C* or CYBL* then you need to use PSoC Creator and if you have a CYW* then you have a WICED device and need WICED Studio.

I am looking at CYBT-353027-02 module (BLE + Bluetooth Classic). Which system to use? As far as I understand it's WICED but this doesn't match your explanation.

0 Likes