OTA2 support needed for STM32F412 MCU with plenty of onboard resources...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LaCo_2503811
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

I'm working with a WICED platform that has an embedded STM32F412 (512KB of internal flash + 256 KB SRAM) + 16Mb external SFLASH. I believe internal + external flash should be sufficient to support OTA2 but I am not sure about RAM usage. The "OTA RAM requirements" details in the OTA2 document is not clear. It looks likes it is mixing memory that is designed for flash (code/data) with RAM or is that the OTA extractor app runs out of RAM?

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 9.16.58 PM.png

Would be really grateful if you guys can help clarify this? Are you able to share what your developers needed to do get OTA2 working on the high end STM32 you mentioned? Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

The table indicates that OTA2 will require nearly 640K RAM.

For devices that have both internal+external Flash, the DCT can remain in the internal Flash(and execute from there) which saves you 16K. But still, the amount of RAM required turns out to be more than 256K. The internal+extrenal flash you mentioned is sufficient to support OTA2 but the lesser RAM won't serve the purpose.

The OTA2 doc talks about the FLASH requirements in section 5. If a device meets the memory requirements for OTA2, you can try modifying the files as mentioned in section 8 of the doc.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

The table indicates that OTA2 will require nearly 640K RAM.

For devices that have both internal+external Flash, the DCT can remain in the internal Flash(and execute from there) which saves you 16K. But still, the amount of RAM required turns out to be more than 256K. The internal+extrenal flash you mentioned is sufficient to support OTA2 but the lesser RAM won't serve the purpose.

The OTA2 doc talks about the FLASH requirements in section 5. If a device meets the memory requirements for OTA2, you can try modifying the files as mentioned in section 8 of the doc.