Programmer Socket?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I am wanting to be able to program the CYBLE-022001-00 chip.  Having to solder (by hand) and desolder (by heat gun) to these teensy tiny pin pads is a pain.

Do you make some kind of socket that would fit this chip?  The .762 mm or .030" pin pitch does not seem to be standard in any way.

Or do you have any other idea of how one might do this more sensibly?  There must be a whole lot better way!

0 Likes
1 Solution
SrikanthD_56
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins First question asked First comment on blog

Hi,

There are bunch of EZ-BLE module programming kits (socket) available on Cypress website. Check them out.

Listing few of them here:

CYBLE-022001-PROG EZ-BLE™ Module Programming Kit | Cypress Semiconductor

CYBLE-014008-PROG EZ-BLE™ MODULE PROGRAMMING KIT | Cypress Semiconductor

View solution in original post

8 Replies
SrikanthD_56
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins First question asked First comment on blog

Hi,

There are bunch of EZ-BLE module programming kits (socket) available on Cypress website. Check them out.

Listing few of them here:

CYBLE-022001-PROG EZ-BLE™ Module Programming Kit | Cypress Semiconductor

CYBLE-014008-PROG EZ-BLE™ MODULE PROGRAMMING KIT | Cypress Semiconductor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, it looks like that will work!  Too bad it's so expensive, I'm just doing 20, but... if it's what I've got to do, it's what I've got to do.  I do already have the BLE Pioneer Kit, so it will just be the $250 for the socket.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the CYBLE-022001-PROG EZ-BLE™ Module Programming Kit.  Programming chips using that socket, the BLE Pioneer kit, and PSoC Programmer seems to work.  However, I cannot figure out how to change the UUID or send other commands to the chip.

When I first clamp down on the chip in the socket, Tera Term shows this message:

@E,003B,BOOT,E=0101011A,S=03030035,P=0103,H=03,C=01,A=00A0504D7B26

@E,000E,ASC,S=01,R=03

Then, attempting to enter in any commands result in the doubling of characters.  For example, entering UUID results in UUUUIIDD being displayed in the terminal, and upon sending the command the display of this message:

@E,000B,ERR,E=0203

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading the datasheet here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

It seems that the information from the boot message is the setup/firmware information.

The second event message is notifying you that the firmware image is going to advertise as a peripheral (which is the default behavior)

Referring to the firmware datasheet: Section 4.1.2 has module configuration, and 4.1.3 has the terminal settings (you look like you have this working already, but listing for reference)

Try turning on flow control for both the host and the module if you can, that might clear it up. Also, make sure you are using the correct baud rate: default is 115200

The error is: 0203 EZS_ERR_PROTOCOL_UNRECOGNIZED_COMMAND Command group/method not valid or unrecognized

The echoing of the characters on the UART terminal is weird; I would attribute it to improper wire connections, improper terminal setup, or some odd echoing functionality of the terminal/program you are using. Teraterm has an echo setting in it's setup file: Communication (Tera Term setup file)

puTTY is a good terminal application too if you need a second terminal application to test issues with teraterm.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you are most likely competent with a soldering iron

The miniprog3 will work for programming the chip, and all you need is having a throughhole pin header socket for the Miniprog3 to connect to wired to the 5 pins on the board. A pin header like this is the one I personally used: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/87224-2/?qs=ZDXmSm13591yVHBRfmL3UQ%3D%3D&gclid=...

It is easy to cut it to the 5-pin count that you would need, and it allows pulling the miniprog3 on/off the boad without all of the solder work every time (only the first time for setup)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi e.pratt,

I would love to save $170 by getting the miniprog3 for $80 instead of the CYBLE-022001-PROG for $250, but I cannot tell from the pictures and documentation how this would work.

I think maybe there is some confusion on what I'm programming.  It's just the plain CYBLE-022001-00 -- a little 10mm X 10mm board.  You refer to "5 pins on the board" but there are no pins at all on the board (just pads on the back)

mouser-CYBLE-022001.jpg

cypress2017-prod1.jpg

pads.JPG

I guess I could take a pin header and bend the headers just right to be spaced .76mm apart and then push the chip down onto those pins and in that way program it?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I assumed you had some sort of breakout from the pads to pins for debug/development;

If you are wanting to program a chip without soldering parts onto the pads, then you would need to create some sort of socket to get contacts from the pads to the MiniProg3 pins for programming.

Otherwise, if you are able to just solder 5 pins to the 5 pads on the chip for programming with the MiniProg3, then you can use the pin header to only have to solder some wire jumpers to the pads without needing to unsolder to disconnect the MiniProg3 (the pin header is for ease of plugging/unplugging you chip to the computer).

We use "pogo pins" at our work for programming boards/chips quickly, as the pogo pins allow you to socket a good electrical connection without a more permanent solution like glue or solder.

The 5 pins I am referring to are: GND, SDIO, SCLK, VDD, XRES (coming from the MiniProg3 port)

On the CYBLE-022001-00 chip, these correlate with pads 10,11, 7, 13,14 (respectively).

You can provide power from the Miniprog3 with the PSoC Programmer software when you go to program the chip, but you can also wire power to the chip and ignore powering the chip using the MiniProg3 if you so choose.

Hope this helps clear up understanding

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, e.pratt.  Great info.

0 Likes