Is it possible to get 16-bit raw pixel data in YUV pixel format with FX3 UVC?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

My sensor interface supports 12-bit pixel output. Is it possible to get all 12-bit data through GPIF and send them as 16-bit pixels (zero padded) over YUV format?

What I would like to do is this:

Each line has n 16-bit pixels.

n/2 low 8 bits are placed to Y plane.

n/4 high 8 bits are placed to U plane.

n/4 high 8 bits are placed to V plane.

It does not matter that incoming frames are properly visualized at first. After receving frames in this form, I would like to do pixel manipulations and cast this image to 16-bit raw frame maybe in OpenCV?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is possible. You an use the AN75779 app not firmware example and comment/remove the contents of sensor.c/.h file. You can stream 720p resolution and connect 12-bit of data to the GPIF data lines, FV and LV signals with your source of video data. As you pointed out, you will not see a proper/clear image as your sensor gives 12-bit data and you will send it over 16-bit per pixel. You may need to do some image processing on the Host to see clear images.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is possible. You an use the AN75779 app not firmware example and comment/remove the contents of sensor.c/.h file. You can stream 720p resolution and connect 12-bit of data to the GPIF data lines, FV and LV signals with your source of video data. As you pointed out, you will not see a proper/clear image as your sensor gives 12-bit data and you will send it over 16-bit per pixel. You may need to do some image processing on the Host to see clear images.

0 Likes