Can a CCG3 become a USB to UART bridge?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chha_1272311
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am working with a microcontroller that only has a UART for serial communications.  Would it be possible to create a USB to UART virtual port bridge inside the CCG3 to interface with the microcontroller?

0 Likes
1 Solution
OlEr_1999891
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hi!

We got the same response from Lisa before and we have almost got USB HID to work now by modifying the USB Billboard device class that is included in the DP-dongle source code example. We didn't use the USB to I2C bridge which is used for firmware/debug interface, we felt that was too dangerous

We thought also about doing UART instead but that would be a larger step to go from based on the Billboard class.

We used a standard PSoC 5LP / PSoC creator to generate all descriptor file content and then inserted them into the CCG4 GW BTW, there is is just drag-n-drop to add USB HID/UART.

Lisa: You need to tell your product managers to enable the designer-view in PSoC creator to work with these block on the CCGx firmware. Then you product would be clearly better than TI's products.

Cheers

Olof

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Chris,

The CCG3 can be realize it by customize firmware internal. I just want to let you know CYPD3120 and CYPD3123 firmware project have already implemented USB to I2C bridge internal. The related firmware source code is bb_internal.c, usb_hid.c.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
OlEr_1999891
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hi!

We got the same response from Lisa before and we have almost got USB HID to work now by modifying the USB Billboard device class that is included in the DP-dongle source code example. We didn't use the USB to I2C bridge which is used for firmware/debug interface, we felt that was too dangerous

We thought also about doing UART instead but that would be a larger step to go from based on the Billboard class.

We used a standard PSoC 5LP / PSoC creator to generate all descriptor file content and then inserted them into the CCG4 GW BTW, there is is just drag-n-drop to add USB HID/UART.

Lisa: You need to tell your product managers to enable the designer-view in PSoC creator to work with these block on the CCGx firmware. Then you product would be clearly better than TI's products.

Cheers

Olof