What is the Intel Hex file Metadata area on CYBL10x6x?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaPi_1514011
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi

I'm trying to write a hex file and program using PSOC programmer.  I'm using the information in this document (Document 001-91508 Rev. *B)

http://origin-www.cypress.com/file/137281/download

In section 2.3 it details the HEX file format. Great.  However for metadata it shows Internal Use is not required to program.  Except it is!

If I have the wrong values in a generated file PSOC programmer says "FAILED! Hex File parsing failure. Meta Data is corrupted"

So... what are the values here.  Clearly the last two bytes change:

:0200000490501A

One image:

:0C00000000020E50119E00010EECF1F603

Another:

:0C00000000020E50119E00010EE5355E5E

Is this documented somewhere?

Many thanks, Dave

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello ,

As per the Programming Specification, "0x9050 0000 – Metadata (12 bytes): This section contains data that is not programmed into the target device. Instead, it is used to check data integrity of the hex file and the silicon ID of the target device.", PSoC Programmer uses each of these bytes and analyse if the hex file is corrupted. The methodology used by PSoC Creator is confidential. Can you check if there is any corruption for the hex file?

Thanks,

Hima

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello ,

As per the Programming Specification, "0x9050 0000 – Metadata (12 bytes): This section contains data that is not programmed into the target device. Instead, it is used to check data integrity of the hex file and the silicon ID of the target device.", PSoC Programmer uses each of these bytes and analyse if the hex file is corrupted. The methodology used by PSoC Creator is confidential. Can you check if there is any corruption for the hex file?

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

Hi Hima,

The HEX file was modified by me and the checksum updated from outside of PSoC Creator.  So by the metadata CRC, I'd imagine it did consider it corrupt.  However as I changed the data and all other checksums in the file (there is one on each line followed by an image sum), it was correct as I recalculated all those.

I cannot write the file because the last metadata check is invalid.

The silicon ID is the first few bytes of the metadata - why is there a secondary CRC in there that is proprietary rather than letting users program any valid HEX file they like?

Thanks, Dave

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Right now PSoC Programmer can program the hex file generated by PSoC Creator only. The extra check is to prevent the programming of other modified hex files.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes