CYUSB3014 two question about clock

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

first, i want to know if CYUSB3014 can output clock to the external sensor as FX2LP...

second, when i use GPIF Communicate with external sensor, Does it need to be synchronized with the external device clock....

thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

When the "Clock settings" is set to "Internal" in the GPIF II Designer, the PCLK (GPIF16) pin is configured as an output and provides a clock to external devices.

GS003346.png

In this case, the GPIF II's state machine hardware is clocked by the PCLK.

If a synchronous interface is used, it is required to synchronize the PCLK and the sensor device clock .

If an asynchronous interface is used, the PCLK pin does not input/output a clock and is not required to be synchronized to the sensor device clock.  But the transfer speed will be slower than the synchronous interface.

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MaAr_2545856
Level 4
Level 4
5 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

1.CYUSB3014 can not output clock to the external sensor.

2. When use GPIF Communicate with external sensor , it need to be synchronized with the external device clock.

For example : If external sensor runs at 24MHz, the PCLK to the FX3 should be 24MHz.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my design, i use a active crystal oscillator provide clock to a image sensor.

i use a synchronous interface, Connect CYUSB3014 and sensor.

In this case, I just put the PCLK(GPIO16) and ouput clock of sensor be connected In addition to data lines?

the GPIF II's state machine hardware is also clocked by the PCLK Or it's own clock?

thanks!

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee

When the "Clock settings" is set to "Internal" in the GPIF II Designer, the PCLK (GPIF16) pin is configured as an output and provides a clock to external devices.

GS003346.png

In this case, the GPIF II's state machine hardware is clocked by the PCLK.

If a synchronous interface is used, it is required to synchronize the PCLK and the sensor device clock .

If an asynchronous interface is used, the PCLK pin does not input/output a clock and is not required to be synchronized to the sensor device clock.  But the transfer speed will be slower than the synchronous interface.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my design, i use a active crystal oscillator provide clock to a image sensor.

i use a synchronous interface, Connect CYUSB3014 and sensor.

In this case, I just put the PCLK(GPIO16) and ouput clock of sensor be connected In addition to data lines?

the GPIF II's state machine hardware is also clocked by the PCLK Or it's own clock?

thanks!

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee

If "Internal" is selected as the "Clock settings," an internal clock is used to clock the GPIF II's state machine.  The internal clock is named as "PIB clock" and the clock is used to drive the GPIO16 (PCLK) output.  So, the PCLK output is equal to the state machine hardware clock.

I don't know if you can connect the PCLK output to your image sensor.  It depends on the sensor's specification.

In typical case, some control signals are connected between the FX3 and the image sensor.

Please refer following application note too.

AN75779 - How to Implement an Image Sensor Interface Using EZ-USB® FX3™ in a USB Video Class (UVC) F... 

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes