memory usage of CY8CKIT-062-BLE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
andydong1583_25
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, It's long time wait and finally got the CY8CKIT-062-BLE board  yesterday afternoon. But before we start to evaluate, I think we should know some questions about  this board.

1, BLE stack memory usage ?

PSoC® 63BL Family Datasheet say "1 MB Application Flash with 32-KB EEPROM area and 32-KB Secure Flash".

Questions: It's to say the 1MB just for application not include BLE stack usage??

Questions: "288-KB integrated SRAM". how much SRAM are eaten by BLE stack?

2,  Does it support IAR IDE debugging?

I saw the PSoC 6 family datasheet, it said can export to IAR IDEs.

But I try some example with latest PSoC Creator 4.2, it seems it cant be exported to IAR IDEs.

3, About BLE 5?

3.1 It just supports 2Mbps. For long range, it need to add external PA and LNA.

There are some examples for extend range with external PA and LNA?

3.2  In addition to long range, it should add some additional circuit, the other BLE5 new feature just need to update BLE 5 stack?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi Andy,

To your questions:

1a. 1 MB flash is provided for application and application includes BLE, which means BLE stack also resides in the 1 MB of flash. As the device can be used for non-BLE applications too.

1b. To know about the BLE flash/RAM usage, refer to the BLE component datasheet in PSoC Creator. Check the API Memory usage section. The library uses approx. 131 KB flash and 23 KB SRAM in default configuration. The full configuration mentioned in the Datasheet, includes the flash and RAM occupied by all the APIs defined in the library.

2. Yes it does support IAR IDE debugging. In order to use IAR with PSoC 6(or any IDE for that matter), you need to do two things - Generate files necessary for the 3rd part IDE to implement a PSoC 6 design and Setup a project in the 3rd part IDE to implement the PSoC 6 design. You can find the details regarding both in PSoC Creator help topics. Simply press F1 in PSoC Creator (or Help > PSoC Creator Help Topics) and search for "PSoC 6 IAR", you should find topics related to "generating files for 3rd party IDEs" and "Setting up PSoC 6 project in IAR".

3a. Currently we do not have any examples with external PA/LNA (as it is typically not used by many customers), but if you are interested please raise a support ticket and we will be happy to help. Also note that the Long range feature of BLE 5 does not use external PA/LNA but rather uses redundant bits (results in reduced throughput but improved range) to improve the BER at longer ranges. This requires LE Coded PHY defined in the BLE 5.0 spec, which PSoC 6 does not support

3b. What other new feature are you looking at? PSoC 6 supports 2 Mbps. It does not have LE coded PHY as I captured above. The Advertisement length extension support is possible through a future stack update.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Just my understanding.

1MB application flash which included BLE stack usage.

About the SRAM occupation, you can try to build a PSoC 6 demo code available in PSoC Creator with little application code, and then observe the built result.

It should support IAR debugging.

So far, I do not see any example for extend range with external PA and LNA.

0 Likes

Just my understanding.

1MB application flash which included BLE stack usage.  -It maybe right. But there are NOT any offical document show about of "1MB application flash"(TI and nordic's document show some detail about it.).

About the SRAM occupation, you can try to build a PSoC 6 demo code available in PSoC Creator with little application code, and then observe the built result.

--Yes, I run some demo code. But got nothing about SRAM and flash detail usage.  Just saw "Technology mapping summary" at result tap(*.rpt file). It just show some resource usage NOT memory usage.

So, could you please show how to observe the build result?

It should support IAR debugging.

- I use the "Export to IDE" function (Project-> export to IDE), and got NOTHING.

So Could you help give me some steps (the sample code project name "CE22072_PSoC_6BLE_Direct_Test_Mode")?

So far, I do not see any example for extend range with external PA and LNA.

The example are in planning or in future?

0 Likes

To answer how to observe the build result, currently it is a bit tedious and you will have to manually do it from the '.map' files for each core (check the bytes consumed by each code/data section you have defined and add them up). However, we will be enabling the same in a future release of PSoC Creator.

0 Likes
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi Andy,

To your questions:

1a. 1 MB flash is provided for application and application includes BLE, which means BLE stack also resides in the 1 MB of flash. As the device can be used for non-BLE applications too.

1b. To know about the BLE flash/RAM usage, refer to the BLE component datasheet in PSoC Creator. Check the API Memory usage section. The library uses approx. 131 KB flash and 23 KB SRAM in default configuration. The full configuration mentioned in the Datasheet, includes the flash and RAM occupied by all the APIs defined in the library.

2. Yes it does support IAR IDE debugging. In order to use IAR with PSoC 6(or any IDE for that matter), you need to do two things - Generate files necessary for the 3rd part IDE to implement a PSoC 6 design and Setup a project in the 3rd part IDE to implement the PSoC 6 design. You can find the details regarding both in PSoC Creator help topics. Simply press F1 in PSoC Creator (or Help > PSoC Creator Help Topics) and search for "PSoC 6 IAR", you should find topics related to "generating files for 3rd party IDEs" and "Setting up PSoC 6 project in IAR".

3a. Currently we do not have any examples with external PA/LNA (as it is typically not used by many customers), but if you are interested please raise a support ticket and we will be happy to help. Also note that the Long range feature of BLE 5 does not use external PA/LNA but rather uses redundant bits (results in reduced throughput but improved range) to improve the BER at longer ranges. This requires LE Coded PHY defined in the BLE 5.0 spec, which PSoC 6 does not support

3b. What other new feature are you looking at? PSoC 6 supports 2 Mbps. It does not have LE coded PHY as I captured above. The Advertisement length extension support is possible through a future stack update.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

So long range coded PHY won’t be supported by the hardware? I thought it just needed a stack update.

This seems a very misguided decision to me and I can safely say it will weigh in very heavily on our decision - all other options we are evaluating offer it.

0 Likes

Yes, the LR feature defined in BLE 5.0 spec requires an additional/updated PHY (hardware).

If you could share requirements of the project, we would be able to support you evaluate PSoC 6's capabilities for the same.

0 Likes

msur​,

Thanks a lot.​

For PSoC 6, the latest IAR (V8.20) doesn't support PSoC 6.

As the description of website, wow, there are multi Core, more flash, more ram and BLE 5. I am medical device designer. My new product need to export more algorithm from ARM7 to BLE MCU. More memory, more performance and long rang ble are the best choice.

But the rest of memory (50% of total ram) maybe a big challenge for my project.

0 Likes