SPI Design Example does not work with CY8CKIT-050

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hai, I am trying to evaluate the Psoc SPI  functionality.  I am using CY8CKIT-050 KIT for the same. I am using the SPI_Design Example under the find example project. Working with Psoc creator 3.

The display on the LCD is blank. During debugging, observed the execution halts at.

while(!(SPIS_ReadTxStatus() & SPIS_STS_SPI_DONE));

Help is sought, project folder is attached herewith.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hai Noriaki Tanaka,

Guess What? after removing the jumpers, The working was as expected. The 1uF Capacitor shunting the SCLK to the ground was acting as a filter attenuating the clock line. Thank you very much. Presuming you are a  japanese, 'Doumo arigatou'.

For the benefit of those who might encounter a similar case, let me summarize the 2 hurdles i had to overcome:-

(1) replace   while(!(SPIS_ReadTxStatus() & SPIS_STS_SPI_DONE)); with while(!(SPIM_ReadTxStatus() & SPIM_STS_SPI_DONE));

Thank you Bob.

(2) Open Jumpers J43 and J44.  Thanks again Noriaki Tanaka.

Henceforth, I shall also scrutinize the schematics of the kit.

Regards,

Samson Richard. B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are trying to check transmission (Tx)  state of the slave. Better check SPIM__ReadTxStatus() & SPIM_STS_SPI_DONE

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hai Bob,

Thanks indeed for the help/suggestion, now the program executes without any halt. However, the data displayed on the LCD are all 0s. The received data by both the master and slave is 0. I have externally looped back all the master and slave lines.Psoc_snap.JPG

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Did you do the 3rd step described in the Code Example document?

3. Connect the appropriate pins (m_miso to s_miso, m_mosi to s_mosi, m_sclk to s_sclk m_ss to s_ss).

In this code example, the SPI Master (SPIM) controls the SPI Slave (SPIS) and sends/receives data.  The SPIS would not receive any data without the 3rd step.

Regards,

Noriaki

NoriTan
Employee
Employee

I recognize that you are using PSoC Creator 3.0 SP2.  That version of PSoC Creator has no code example document.  Can you use a newer version of PSoC Creator?  I confirmed PSoC Creator 3.3 has the code example document at following location.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\3.3\PSoC Creator\examples\sampleprojects\SPI_Design\SPI_Design.cydsn

Regards,

Noriaki

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Noriaki Takana,

I have pulled out the project from find example project, I have illustrated the same in the attachment. However, in the projects under the Kits(CY8CKIT-050 KIT ) there are no examples for SPI. I will anyways install Psoc creator 3.3 or Psoc creator 4 as you suggestedfind_example2.JPG and go ahead. Will certainly update the observations and findings thereafter.

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee

I checked the schematic of CY8CKIT-050 and found the DVK board can have 1.0uF bypass capacitor for the SAR ADC as follows.

GS003328.png

Please confirm if the pin headers J43 and J44 are attached and remove jumpers if attached.

These jumpers are connected to m_miso and m_sck respectively and 1.0uF capacitor may affects to the 1MHz clock.

Regards,

Noriaki

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hai Noriaki Tanaka,

Guess What? after removing the jumpers, The working was as expected. The 1uF Capacitor shunting the SCLK to the ground was acting as a filter attenuating the clock line. Thank you very much. Presuming you are a  japanese, 'Doumo arigatou'.

For the benefit of those who might encounter a similar case, let me summarize the 2 hurdles i had to overcome:-

(1) replace   while(!(SPIS_ReadTxStatus() & SPIS_STS_SPI_DONE)); with while(!(SPIM_ReadTxStatus() & SPIM_STS_SPI_DONE));

Thank you Bob.

(2) Open Jumpers J43 and J44.  Thanks again Noriaki Tanaka.

Henceforth, I shall also scrutinize the schematics of the kit.

Regards,

Samson Richard. B

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hai Noriaki Tanaka,

Thank you for your reply. I have ensured it. All necessary pins have been looped.

0 Likes