[S29GL064S70TFI030] Are there any restrictions on the difference of SA's address for 128 words Write to Buffer.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello

The customer is operating the Write to Buffer at 128 words, but writing can not be completed.

When writing to buffer 64 words once was successful, but writing to buffer (128words) once
fails.
It will freeze during writing and the writing will not be completed.

We confirmed that Write to Buffer (128 words) will succeed when SA's address is round number such as 7D0000h, 7D0100h, 7D0200h, 7D0300h etc. However when SA addresses are
7D0020h, 7D0120h, 7D0220h. . .128 words writing did not succeed 

In details, after operating “Program Buffer to Flash” command, 0x0098 is set to RD of “Status
Register Read” command.

Are there restrictions on the difference of SA's address? Or are there any other reasons mentioned
above?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Arai San,

Please let me know the word count you are providing when SA addresses are 7D0020h, 7D0120h, 7D0220h. . .

The status register value 0x0098 indicates bit 3 as 1 which means Program aborted during Write to Buffer command.

The Write Buffer Programming Sequence will be aborted if the following occurs:

1. Load a value that is greater than the page buffer size during the Number of Locations to Program step.

2. Write to an address in a sector different than the one specified during the Write-Buffer-Load command.

3. Write an Address / Data pair to a different write-buffer-page than the one selected by the Starting Address during the write buffer data loading stage of the operation.

4. Write data other than the Confirm Command after the specified number of data load cycles

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Krishna san

The word count(WC) is 7Fh for 128 words Writes to Buffer, and SA addresses are 7D0020h, 7D0120h,7D0220h,,.I think it will be aborted, because it will be write to buffer across sectors as a result.Is it correct assuming?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Arai San,

Yes your understanding is correct.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Krishna san

Is the page buffer size correct that 128 words (256 bytes) is the maximum?
Also, does "the page buffer size" change depending on the SA address of Write Buffer Programming?Please tell me the mechanism

Is there any document that clearly describes the difference or relationship between sector size and page buffer size

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Arai San,

Q) Is the page buffer size correct that 128 words (256 bytes) is the maximum?

A) Yes The maximum size for  write buffer is 128-word / 256-byte.

Q Also, does "the page buffer size" change depending on the SA address of Write Buffer Programming?Please tell me the mechanism ?

A) No, the page buffer size does not change.

If the SA is 7D0100h and if you want to write 256 bytes which is FF so the end address will be 7D01FFh. In thsi case tte page address does not change i.e 100 to 1FF. If the starting address is 7D0020 and try to write 256 bytes the end address will 7D011F, in this case the page is changing from 1st page to second change which will result in error, because you are Writing an Address / Data pair to a different write-buffer-page than the one selected by the Starting Address which is 7D0000.

Q)  Is there any document that clearly describes the difference or relationship between sector size and page buffer size

A) NO. Hope the above explanation helps.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes

Hello Arai,

Yes, the write buffer is 256-bytes. In regards, to page buffer size which page buffer you are referring to, the "Write Buffer" or "Read Buffer"?

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5

Hello

I'm referring the "Write Buffer", and I am asking about the data sheet 8.3 S29GL064S (Model 03) Top Boot Sector Addresses.

For example, when considering SA125(7D0000h–7DFFFFh)
7D0000h to 7D00FF -- 1st page
7D0100h to 7D01FF -- 2nd page
7D0200h to 7D02FF --  3rd page
                       :
Q1) Is the relationship between sectors and pages correct?
Also, about SA127(7F0000h)~ and after, is the same sector and page relationship as above?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes

Hello Arai,

Yes you are correct.

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

If SA is 7D0020h, I am understanding that it will be less than Write Page unit programming.In this case, I think there are cases where "ECC" becomes invalid.

When SA is 7D0020h, what kind of control should be done with FW?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes

Hello Arai,

Is this SA beginning of the sector or beginning of the page? Can you please provide more details regarding the control of the FW?

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

0 Likes
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Arai,

FLASH device :  S29GL064S70TFI030

SA125 :  7D0000h to 7DFFFFh

Write Buffer restrictions :

- Write Buffer Programming cannot be performed across multiple write-buffer pages

- Write Buffer Programming cannot be performed across multiple sectors.

- Write-buffer-page address must be the same for all address / data pairs loaded into the write buffer.

Examples :

Page address 7D0000h to 7D0100h is exactly within a 256 byte page boundary

Page address 7D0100h to 7D0300h is exactly within a 256 byte page boundary

Page address 7D0020h to 7D0120h is exactly 256 bytes, but not within the page boundary

Page address 7D0120h to 7D0220h is exactly 256 bytes, but not within the page boundary

< This is programming across multiple write-buffer pages, which is not allowed >

The Write Buffer Programming Sequence can be aborted in the following ways:

- Load a value that is greater than the page buffer size during the Number of Locations to Program step.

- Write to an address in a sector different than the one specified during the Write-Buffer-Load command

- Write an Address / Data pair to a different write-buffer-page than the one selected by the Starting Address during the write

buffer data loading stage of the operation.

- Write data other than the Confirm Command after the specified number of data load cycles.

The abort condition is indicated by DQ1 = 1, DQ7 = DATA# (for the last address location loaded), DQ6 = toggle, and DQ5 = 0. A

Write-to-Buffer-Abort Reset command sequence must be written to reset the device for the next operation.

Thank you and regards,

Albert

Cypress Applications Support

0 Likes