Switched-capacitor circuit blocks on PSoC4 configurable at the switch level?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings!

I appreciate that PSoC Creator and newer versions of PSoC offer great improvements over Designer and PSoC 1 in many ways including the wide selection of easily configurable components. I understand that the newer versions of PSoC including PSoC 4 are preferable to PSoC 1 in most cases. However, I have a project that requires the simple Switched-Capacitor (SC) building blocks that can be configured at the switch level as are available in PSoC 1 and I cannot find anything like them in PSoC 4. Specifically, I'm looking for the equivalent of the SCBLOCK and SwitchCapConfig. Are there any equivalent components in PSoC 4 etc.. ? I'm new to PSoC and hope to choose the appropriate product family before I get deeper on the learning curve.

Please advise. Cheers! -Matt

1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hello Matt,

PSoC 4 Analog co-processor UAB will be the candidate for your requirement. But UAB functionalities are yet to be released. It will be released in near future. Do stay tuned.

Best Regards,
VSRS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

What is the problem you are actually trying to solve? The newer PSoCs do not come with these low-level block, but there might be another solution for your problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! I'm exploring the possibilities in using PSoC devices for switched-capacitor research and education. The hope would be that PSoC could enable at least limited IC test results much faster and cost effectively than could be provided by custom ICs. For example, for research, having IC test results of any sorts opens new opportunities for publication and discovering issues that might not be noticed with simulations alone. For education, PSoC might be a good platform for lab exercises for classes that cover switched-capacitor circuits without the extra parasitics and complicated wiring associated with breadboarding discrete components.

From your reply and from what I've discovered so far, I understand that only PSoC 1 offers the basic switched-capacitor building blocks that would be needed for the research and education applications that I've described above. Another limitation, even with PSoC 1 appears to be the lack of device models and tolerance information needed to create and compare simulation results with test results. However, I expect that basic models could be created from piecing together what information is out there, from measurements, and from asking the engineers at Cypress. I also worry that PSoC 1 won't be around much longer and am hesitant to put too much time into it. The obsolescence or planned obsolescence of devices that fit in the PSoC 1 evaluation kit appears to indicate their limited future, but perhaps it's just the DIP packaged components. I'll bring PSoC 1 focused questions to the appropriate forum.

I hope that Cypress will eventually work these low-level blocks back into their component offerings. I'm guessing they weren't sufficiently popular with their customers to warrant the expense.  In the meantime, I do see other opportunities for using PSoC for research and education that is not switched-capacitor focused e.g. creating demos that require a small form factor such as IoT Senior Projects.

Any advice on my quest will be appreciated. 

Cheers! -Matt

0 Likes

You may also check Anadigm FPAA for switched-capacitor blocks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I did look at Anadigm. It's difficult to tell much about what you can do with their products without installing their software. Hopefully, I can at least get PSoC 1 to work. If not, I'll invest more time exploring Anadigm. Cheers! 

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hello Matt,

PSoC 4 Analog co-processor UAB will be the candidate for your requirement. But UAB functionalities are yet to be released. It will be released in near future. Do stay tuned.

Best Regards,
VSRS

VSRS,

My wish would be is to resurrect PSoC1 by replacing CPU core with ARM M-0 and adding it to Creator IDE. Should be easy task for Cypress, and such mcu can be inexpensive also. In many regards, PSoC1 (with 12 blocks) had more analog power than any other Cypress product. Newer mcu from Cypress look more and more like a regular MCU.

regards,

odissey1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks VSRS! Good to know. I look forward to the release of the UAB.

Also, I agree with odissey1 in that in offering some new product versions with at least as many analog blocks as are presently available on PSoC 1 will make a significant difference to some customers and provide some clear market differentiation to help PSoC stand out against the competition.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers! -Matt