Qualified/Certified BLE Controller (HCI Mode)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a suitable BLE solution for an upcoming product. We're looking for a BLE Controller that we can integrate with BlueZ on a Linux system. In other words we're looking for access to the HCI layer of the bluetooth stack. We're also hoping to find one that is available as a module, so we don't have to implement the RF chain ourselves.

I've seen a few posts on the community forums about using HCI mode for testing and the like, but I haven't found much documentation from Cypress on which software stacks can break out this layer. I've also seen this list of Cypress' Bluetooth qualifications which suggests that you can pick and choose which parts of the stack you can include in your firmware build.

Can you provide some more information? If we want a pre-qualified BLE controller available as a pre-certified module for our product, which chipsets are suitable, and where should I be looking to understand the software stack? To further complicate things we're hoping to find a solution that will enable us to update the firmware stack in the future to support BLE Mesh.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution

For PSoC4/PRoC BLE HCI:  As E Pratt mentioned thread: https://community.cypress.com/thread/16366​ have post that:

We can configure the BLE component in your project in HCI mode . In HCI mode, the component exposes UART interface as HCI. Over this UART, you can send any BLE HCI command. All BLE HCI commands as defined in BLE spec are supported by the component.

The demo project is mentioned with this link: PSoC-4-BLE/main.c at master · cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE · GitHub

For Certification/qualification:  PSoC4/PRoC BLE have pass the SIG qualification which you have find in your first post link.   The certification means the regulatory certification, usually it's for end product.  And the cypress module like CYBLE022001 or other similar modules have certified to FCC, CE, MIC, KC, and IC regulations.

Thanks & Regards!

Jenson

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone else trying to google an answer, I haven't had any luck finding answers on Cypress products unfortunately. The only device I've been able to find on the market today that meets our needs is:

www.emmicroelectronic.com/products/wireless-rf/standard-protocols/em9304

EM Micro put me in touch with C-Max Asia Limited who make a module (the CMM-9304-V2.1).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen some mentions of the HCI being available for cypress chips, but haven't personally played with it:

Cypress HCI specification

PSoC-4-BLE/main.c at master · cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE · GitHub

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response - unfortunately these threads don't specify the certification/qualification status.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Likes

For PSoC4/PRoC BLE HCI:  As E Pratt mentioned thread: https://community.cypress.com/thread/16366​ have post that:

We can configure the BLE component in your project in HCI mode . In HCI mode, the component exposes UART interface as HCI. Over this UART, you can send any BLE HCI command. All BLE HCI commands as defined in BLE spec are supported by the component.

The demo project is mentioned with this link: PSoC-4-BLE/main.c at master · cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE · GitHub

For Certification/qualification:  PSoC4/PRoC BLE have pass the SIG qualification which you have find in your first post link.   The certification means the regulatory certification, usually it's for end product.  And the cypress module like CYBLE022001 or other similar modules have certified to FCC, CE, MIC, KC, and IC regulations.

Thanks & Regards!

Jenson