Is there a CNC shield that can be connected to the pioneer dev kit?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found some that are made for the arduino, would that work on the pioneer dev kit?

We are looking to build a small diy cnc setup here at the shop and we are more familar with psoc than arduino. So we would like to use psoc for this setup if possible.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there isnt, is there a way to control stepper motors with the dev kit? Would that be using PWM's?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The PSoC can be easily used to control a stepper motor driver which usually has got one or two inputs for the direction and a step input.

To provide this interface chip with a clean pulse train I would suggest you to use a PWM which can be varied in speed programmatically.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a product called the GRBLshield. It has all the IO and drives that you need to do a small CNC machine. The GRBL software that runs on an Arduino Uno is a very good piece of code done by some very bright minds. It is written in optimized C and not the Arduino framework so it could possibly be ported.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, those people have written a very stable code for GRBL, but still the arduino hardware is limited when it comes to UART speed , also few G codes (for angular rotation) are not supported. the code almost consumed 98% of arduino resources and there is very limited scope for further advancements

I have searched many times if such platform is available or developed by someone on PSOC but unfortunately i didnt got much information on that. probably we need to build the platform.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

answer to your question, any shield compatible with arduino can be wired with psoc dev kit but there is no standard compatible module as such, which can fit in the connectors available with PSOC dev kit.

to drive the motors with the shield and PSOC . we need to chk the PWM duration which the Driver supports and minimum pulse on time reuired for the driver to detect the pulse.

in my case the driver supported the min pulse time as low as 5us.

Sourabh

0 Likes