CCG3 gate drivers

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChWh_2269096
Level 1
Level 1

I am implementing the CCG3 controller in a solar charging application. This product will have the ability to charge via the solar panel plugged in OR the USB-C port but cannot have both ports on at the same time. Therefore, I would like to use the VBUS_C_CTRL[1:0] pins to drive two sets of back to back NFETS. Can I use VBUS_C_CTRL0 to control both NFETs in the USB-C path and use VBUS_C_CTRL1 to control both NFETs in the Solar path? In the datasheet it shows each signal driving one NFET but can one signal drive two FETs? The FETs I am using are: http://aosmd.com/res/data_sheets/AON6816.pdf

Please see attached drawing. If a solar panel is plugged in while consuming, switch A will be OFF and switch B will be ON. If a solar panel is plugged in while providing, switch A will be ON, switch B OFF, and switch C ON. Basically, I need the ability to control switch A and switch B separately so they are never on at the same time. Is that possible with the CCG3 controller? It provides 4 driver outputs but can you control them separately? And do they have the ability to drive two FETs with ONE output?

Thanks,

Chad

CONSUMER-PROVIDER-PATHS.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Chad,

Please kindly refer below comments for your concerns based on CCG3.

Is that possible with the CCG3 controller?

>> No. This is not possible with VBUS_C_CTRL_0/1. Since this two pins is controlled by hard IP block inside of CCG3. So that you cannot customize the firmware for this two pins.

It provides 4 driver outputs but can you control them separately?

>>If you could like to control this two path, you could have additional GPIO for additional one, otherwise this two paths will enable and disable same time when the Type-C port is attached and communication was done.

And do they have the ability to drive two FETs with ONE output?

>>For VBUS_CTRL is okay. If you are going to accept my suggestion on above, the normal GPIO cannot achieve this. Since you are using N MOS FET.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
OlEr_1999891
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hi!

Not sure it will help, but I've noticed that in the CCG4 EVK reference design and code they have changed so that you have only one VBUS_C/P_CTRL controlling two FETs, similar how you have have designed. I guess they did this change since there was not enough free pins on CCG4 since it controlls two USB-C ports. If you look into that design and the CCG3/CCG4 if-defs that exists in the code you might figure out how to reprogram the control logic as well. I might have opted for basing my design and code on the CCG4 instead?

Cheers

Olof

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Chad,

Please kindly refer below comments for your concerns based on CCG3.

Is that possible with the CCG3 controller?

>> No. This is not possible with VBUS_C_CTRL_0/1. Since this two pins is controlled by hard IP block inside of CCG3. So that you cannot customize the firmware for this two pins.

It provides 4 driver outputs but can you control them separately?

>>If you could like to control this two path, you could have additional GPIO for additional one, otherwise this two paths will enable and disable same time when the Type-C port is attached and communication was done.

And do they have the ability to drive two FETs with ONE output?

>>For VBUS_CTRL is okay. If you are going to accept my suggestion on above, the normal GPIO cannot achieve this. Since you are using N MOS FET.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes