BCM20736 recovery from wrong hex file programming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I loaded the .ota.hex file instead of .hex file by mistake into two BCM20736S modules and I'm no more able to program them.

I used chipload.exe from command line and SDK 2.1.1.

I have some question about this:

1) Is there any way to recover modules?

2) I guess there's a different addressing into two hex files, what's exactly the differece?

3) It's normal that modules doesn't work with ota.hex files if not loaded via OTAFU. Why does modules are no more programmable?

I was thinking that only user application resides in external flash, while stack and BOOT is in CPU flash. If all the logics that handles programming is not into potentially corruptable area, why this logics does not work now?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thank you for reply.

I have a custom board with BCM20736S module but fortunately I have SDA pins on a test point.

I performed this procedure:

I grounded SDA trough 100 ohm resistor

hci serial connected.

turned on and wait about 5 sec

I released SDA

programmed with sdk and recover option.

Module is still not programmable

then I tried to connect serial after SDA release. Perhaps BOOT does something strange due to wrong fw:

I released SDA

hci serial connected.

Module is now programmable!

There's something strange in boot procedure, seems that HCI serial connected influences boot even if no application is detected.

Anyway thank you, I solved issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

i think the below thread addresses your qns, especially on (2)

WICED Smart BCM92073X OTA Firmware Upgrade (1)

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The recovery procedure is outlined here in the WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)

The Over The Air Firmware Update process is described here in Software Over-The-Air Secure Firmware Update

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thank you for reply.

I have a custom board with BCM20736S module but fortunately I have SDA pins on a test point.

I performed this procedure:

hci serial connected.

I released SDA

Module is still not programmable

then I tried to connect serial after SDA release. Perhaps BOOT does something strange due to wrong fw:

I released SDA

hci serial connected.

Module is now programmable!

There's something strange in boot procedure, seems that HCI serial connected influences boot even if no application is detected.

Anyway thank you, I solved issue.

Thanks for providing an update as I'm sure others will find this information useful as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting info.  I have recovered many times without needing to disconnect the hci during power up... but I do not use the 100 ohm resistor.  Good to hear you were able to recover.  Do you think the 100 ohm resistor combined with voltage from the Hci prevented entering recovery mode?  Maybe if you are curious you can try it without the resistor.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I used 100 ohm resistor only to limit currents, just in case output is effectively driven, and not used as open drain.

Today I recovered another unit with same method.

I don't know why starting with hci serial connected makes procedure fail. There is no electrical reason because we are speaking of different pins. I think instead this influences somehow boot logic.

0 Likes