CY4531: hardware change for evaluating as sink device

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would like to evaluate DP alternate mode as SINK device on CY4531 kit.

Is it possible to change the hardware to evaluate it.

If yes, please let me know.

Regards,

Hiroki

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Hiroki-san,

The hardware changes can be follow below comments. The hardware change shall be based on your requirements.

1. If you just need demo DisplayPort only, The simple way is remove U5 (PS8740) and USB3.0 singals on J2 and connect Lan0-Lan4 and AUX_N/P to Type-C connect directly. The pin assignment shall be refer pin assignments defines on DP ALT MODE. 

2. If you also could like to replace Source MUX wuth a sink MUX, the PS8742 can be recommendation, unfortunately, they are not pin to pin comparable even through they are same package.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is possible.

1) The power role can be set using the EZ-PD configuration utility. You can configure it for sink.

2) For DP demo, we have mentioned the steps to evaluate in the kit guide.

Please go through the secton "5.2 DisplayPort Demo" of the kit guide (link attached below):

http://www.cypress.com/file/230181/download

Please let us know for any further questions

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi NISA-san,

Is it really? I think CY4531 is for notebook application, so this kit is working as DP Source device in DP demo, Not Sink.

I would like to connect DP port on CY4531 kit to the monitor.

To operate as SINK device on this kit, I think the hardware change including MUX device is needed.

Regards,

Hiroki

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for the misunderstanding. So, when you say sink, it is terms of data (not in term of power), correct?

In such a scenario, you are correct. The DVK has a source mux only. For your application you will need a sink mux

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi NISA-san,

I’m sorry for lack of words.

Yes, it is terms of data.

I would like to know the detailed hardware change. Where and how should we change the hardware?

Regards,

Hiroki Enari

0 Likes

Hi Hiroki-san,

The hardware changes can be follow below comments. The hardware change shall be based on your requirements.

1. If you just need demo DisplayPort only, The simple way is remove U5 (PS8740) and USB3.0 singals on J2 and connect Lan0-Lan4 and AUX_N/P to Type-C connect directly. The pin assignment shall be refer pin assignments defines on DP ALT MODE. 

2. If you also could like to replace Source MUX wuth a sink MUX, the PS8742 can be recommendation, unfortunately, they are not pin to pin comparable even through they are same package.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lisa-san,

Thank you for reply.

If selecting "1", I think the flip/unflip of connection can't be detected because there is no MUX. To evaluate the flip/unflip, we should select "2" option. Is it right?

Regards,

Hiroki

0 Likes

Hi Hiroki-san,

You are correct. I was forgot to consider flip/unflip of connection for Type-C receptacle. You have to select option #2.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lisa-san,

I understood.

Regards,

Hiroki Enari

0 Likes