What is the use of Descriptor for a characteristic in any service ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jamec_2673086
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello,

I am newbie to PSoC 4 BLE & i came across a term named descriptor in profile->service->characteristic->descriptor hierarchy.

I ant to know about use case of descriptor . And There are different predefined example available for any characteristic,So where that can be used ?  

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the official description: GATT Descriptors | Bluetooth Technology Website

Basically, they describe the characteristic they are attached to.

So, it's like the comments for a function, but is useful for allowing a remote device to read and display to the user for explaining the usage/functionality of a characteristic.

Note: The Client Characteristic Configuration Descriptor is a specific attribute used to enable/disable indications, notifications, etc. for the associated attribute and shouldn't be confused with the simple "descriptor" that just holds metadata about the characteristic as defined by your application/service/device.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the official description: GATT Descriptors | Bluetooth Technology Website

Basically, they describe the characteristic they are attached to.

So, it's like the comments for a function, but is useful for allowing a remote device to read and display to the user for explaining the usage/functionality of a characteristic.

Note: The Client Characteristic Configuration Descriptor is a specific attribute used to enable/disable indications, notifications, etc. for the associated attribute and shouldn't be confused with the simple "descriptor" that just holds metadata about the characteristic as defined by your application/service/device.

Thanks pratt.

I got your answer & cleared about Client Characteristic Configuration Descriptor.

Thank you very much...

0 Likes