I can't program my psoc anymore (it doesn't enter in program mode)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I got a problem with my Psoc. I have CY8CKIT-049-42XX Prototyping Kit. I recent have started programming and I was watching the classes in Cypress's Youtube Channel to learn more about it. I did all lessons and everything it was ok until there.

But, last wesdnesday  I put my psoc in computer and tryed program via bootloader and I coudn't do this. It doesn't enter in "program mode" anymore when I press the switch buttom before connect in  my computer. I searched in internet, but i didn't see anything about it. I check wih a multimeter and switch button it's ok, the voltage levels it's ok too. I don't know what more do and how I can solve this. Pls, help me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I don't think so.  But either way, using a KitProg to reprogram the device is the way to go.  If you later decide to create your own PCB with a PSoC on it, you will need on then anyhow.  I figured it was the best $10 I ever spent, until I tried to use an 8 pin device.  Then I needed a real MiniProg3 to program it.  (The 8 pin devices don't have a reset pin, and require a different method to program them...)

If you are near Michigan I could help you out with programming it.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DaBr_1233126
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 5 likes given First like received

It sounds like the final project you did, didn't include the bootloader component.  This can happen.  to recover you are going to need either a MiniProg3 or a Kitprog from another kit.  I don't know part numbers, but the PSoC 5 stick like yours include a KitProg as the breakaway portion.  (Your kit has a USB to Serial interface....)

I find it very handy having a couple of the KitProgs around.  (One for office and another for home...)  The PSoC5 kits are very cheap.  Search for the CY8CKIT-059 and you will find it.  There is also the CY8CKIT-043 which has a PSoC 4M on it.  Since you are already looking at the at the 4200 series, the 4M is an upgrade.  Both of the kits I referenced have the KitProg on them as a snapaway device and cost around $10 in the USA.

Good Luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've included the bootloader component in last project, because it was only a blinking led to show for a friend and it works as usual.

It's a strange problem. Could it screw up for itself?

0 Likes

I don't think so.  But either way, using a KitProg to reprogram the device is the way to go.  If you later decide to create your own PCB with a PSoC on it, you will need on then anyhow.  I figured it was the best $10 I ever spent, until I tried to use an 8 pin device.  Then I needed a real MiniProg3 to program it.  (The 8 pin devices don't have a reset pin, and require a different method to program them...)

If you are near Michigan I could help you out with programming it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I think so I'll try buy a KitProg to reprogram the device.

I'm from Brazil, so unfortunately you can't help me. I was trying using Psoc to my graduation final work, and if I'd have to buy other kit, the problem is delay to receive it, so I was searching for another options.

Thank you for your help.

Try at ARROW or DIGI-KEY, they deliver to brazil. I would suggest you to get a CY8CKIT-043 which uses a PSoC4-M chip. The kit allows for direct programming and debugging!!

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

The XRES capability on SOIC8 (and DFN16) case:

Please read "AN86439":
Note: In the PSoC 4000 parts (all parts except the 24-pin QFN), pin P1[6] is temporarily configured as XRES during
power-up until the device executes the start-up code. Do not pull this pin down during power-up as this keeps the
device in reset.

Also, please read "KBA91258":
Special functionality of P1[6] as a temporary XRES pin.

So your SOIC8 does have an XRES and can be programmed with a normal KITPROG.

Best regards!
Jurgen.

Thanks for that info Jurgen!

I didn't know that.  It doesn't help me now as I already use the MiniProg3, but it is good for future reference!

Dan

0 Likes
DaBr_1233126
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 5 likes given First like received

Glad I could help!  I agree with Bob also, the CY8CKIT-043 will probably be the best fit for you.  I must admit I kinda take debugging for granted.  You can't do that (debug) with the serial kits like yours!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get an application working without debugging is pretty similar to swimming with only one arm 😕

You don't realize what you have until it's gone.

My first introduction to PSoC was at a trade show.  The Cypress rep was giving away the PSoC 4 and PSoC5 sticks like candy.  So I got one of both.  I started using the PSoC 4 first, as I thought it was newer.  When I got stuck (because I forgot to add the bootloader component to a project) I used the KitProg from the other stick to fix it.

Now, years later, I use PSoC 4 for everything I can, while I buy the PSoC 5 sticks to make Mouse Molesters for my coworkers while I get another KitProg for me.  (Company Corporate policy mandates our PCs lock after 5 minutes of no activity...  Most of us need to check something once every 20-30 minutes....  Such a pain!  lol)

I never really got into the PSoC 5 other than for the Mouse use.  But I make a lot of custom PSoC 4 boards now.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah; I got to work with the PSoC 4 BLE module for a work project; It was so much fun I'm sad I finished it... I plan to make more things with those chips in the future.

Someday I want to setup a clustering system of them just to see how feasible it is for performance, but it might just stay a dream for now

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I know, but I have not had time to import one and only this kind of Psoc it was available to me, so, I've tried in this way.

Thanks for helping me folks

0 Likes