PSoC Creator: Please consider a fix: very slow debug in v4.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I have an issue with PSoC Creator 4.1, update 1.  It may not be a bug.  It may be a tradeoff you have made in the work you have done.

I updated to PSoC Creator 4.1, update 1, and noticed an "unfixed" issue was very slow debug when also using a particular device.  The solution was to unplug the device.

I am running PSoC Creator 4.1, and have a fx2 based logic analyzer.  I am using kitprog. It does not seem to matter if I start with the fx2 based logic analyzer connected or disconnected.  It is always slow.  Even if I turn interrupts off, it is slow.

The short of it is that PSoC 4.1 takes anywhere from 3.77 to 6.0 seconds for a single step (timed with a stop watch), or to reach a breakpoint a few lines of code away from where you previously broke after pressing run.  PSoC Creator 3.3 is almost instantaneous on the same machine.  PSoC Creator 4.0 is slower than 3.3, but it is usable.

The one advantage of 4.1 is you don't step into ISR's, you just step through code.  However, disabling ISR's for a 5 or 10 minute debug session was *much* faster than this, although annoying.  I'm ready for annoying.

Unfortunately, because you *cannot* bring newer projects into *older* versions without a lot of tedious work, I am stuck wasting a *lot* of time on this. 

Please consider changing something for speed.

5 Replies
AngelaF_06
Employee
Employee

I will provide this information to an Engineer for review.

Thank You

Angela

0 Likes
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi,

We had started investigating on this issue.

While you had migrated the project to newer version, the PSoC Creator will ask you to archive the project.

This can be found inside the archive folder. You can unzip this and open the project in previous version.

Jobin GT

0 Likes

Hi,

This was never started in 3.3.  It was started in 4.0, migrated to 4.1. 

I went all the way back to 3.3 because 4.0 was still too slow for my tastes.   I had to recreate the design completely, because you can't cut and paste backwards, and you cant open projects from other versions of PSOC creator backwards in time.

Some of that situation I understand why, some of it I do not understand why.  It really does not matter, it just is, and no amount of being concerned will make any difference.  It is what it is.

Eventually it won't matter because I am confident you will fix the debug issues with 4.1.  At that point, I can probably not use 3.3, and be happy with 4.1.

0 Likes

@Jobin:

Hi Jobin, any news on this? For me, it seems that since 4.x debugging is extremely slow when using watches on arrays. This was faster in 3.x. There a other forum topics which have the same issue.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Ralf,

We tried reproducing the array watch issue, but the debugging seems normal. Can you please attach a project where this can be reproduced.

Attaching a project. Put 'Add watch' on array 'arr'. See there is no issue in the debugging, tested in PSoC Creator 4.1 update 1.

Thanks

Jobin GT

0 Likes