Disabled components still give error regarding multiple drivers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

it seems that disabling a component in the schematic doesn't disable its corresponding outputs. So, PSoC Creator will throw an error regarding multiple drivers if you connect the related signals to other outputs and therefore, the project can't be build.

I wonder if this is intended behaviour. For a electronic circuit layout software, you can give no error markers, for example. Or you can state that only one of those devices will be fitted.

Now, I don't know if this should be also the case from a hardware design language point of view. Therefore I want to ask you what you think about having the outputs really disabled for disabled components. Depending on you opinion we can file a support case to change this behavior.

I know that I can work with virtual (de-)muxers, however, if you want to try something out (and this maybe quick-n-dirty), you don't want to additionally use those muxers in the schematic. That's why I think that disabled components should also disable the outputs.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
9 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

In PSoC Creator if you disable the component, the attached input and output ports won't get disabled.

0 Likes

Hi anks,

yes, that's what I described. I want to know what other users think about this behaviour and if should be changed.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes

No chance: You may connect two components to an IO-port and disable one of them alternately. So the pin shouldn't get disabled . I think it is up to you to manage that correctly, no automatism.

Bob

0 Likes

It would be nice to have such feature (automatically disable dead links). It is partially implemented e.g. for multiple non-connected wires on the input (only the connected one with remain). So it is not much work needed. But from my experience, that is unlikely to happen.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if I would want it to automatically disable broken/dead IO, but automatically deleteing wires that are unconnected would be a nice feature. (Cleanup Wires, or something similar)

Also, being able to disable a selected box of components would be useful; That way, you can alternate a group of components that make up a test circuit on/off with only one button.

0 Likes

I Enable/Disable groups of components by placing them on a separate page and using sheet connectors (diamonds) to connect them to the rest of the schematic. Disabling the page removes all components on that page. Just remember to disable this page before enabling a replacement page with same component names! 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huh; I guess I noticed that you could disable whole pages, but didn't think to use them that way! Clever

0 Likes

Hi,

@Bob: Of course pins shouldn't get disabled, I'm talking about outputs

@E.Pratt: I like the idea with the selection box, but I can't see a one-button solution: enabling/disabling components for testing may also need to call code (initialization, etc.) or to disable the call. Please explain your approach. Are you referring to non-code components, like logic (AND, OR, etc.)?

@odissey1: good approach, I'll test it. I thought it's not possible to have components with the same name, even if they're disabled.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@user_246598725: Yeah, I meant more for disabling a group of components (ignoring any related code). I don't see there being a good way to also disable related code unless you use define macros to check if a component is defined/enabled.

I wouldn't mind needing to modify the code, but being able to disable a group of pins and components all together with a single selection box rather than needing to enable/disable each one individually would be nice.

As @user_342122993 mentioned, placing them on separate pages seems like similar functionality.

0 Likes