Why it CANNOT acquire device in SWD mode when programming ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
user_2088526
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I design my own PCB board with Psoc 4 BLE chip. And my board is connected with KitProg through five wires,i.e., SWDIO,SWDCLK,RST,GND,VDD. However it happens "There was an error running port acquire: Can not acquire device in SWD mode!",when I plan to program my board. I have checked my board .There seem to be no short circuit and circuit breaker. I don't how to solve this problem. Is there anything wrong with my passive crystal or the Psoc 4 BLE chip. Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks!

14 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

What are you using to program the device Mini Prog 3 or the Ble pioneer board? Also without a schematic of the board and the gerber files It is not possible to determine what the issue is. What device are you using?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I use Ble pioneer board to program the device.Here are my schematic and the gerber files.

0 Likes
user_2088526
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

Somebody wanna help me out here?

0 Likes

Are you populating R5?  (Zero Ohm)   Vccd is usually just connected to a CAP.  Nothing else.  Would explain why your unable to talk to the chip.

0 Likes

I also notice you have 2 reset caps.  C9 and C30, you should only need one.  I use .1uF for reset lines myself.  I don't use ADCs much, so I can't comment on those parts of your Schematic.  Looks fairly small!

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions.Actually,I have removed R12,R21,R5 and C30 on my PCB board. But it still doesn't talk to the chip. /sad/PCB.jpg

0 Likes

R21 is part of your reset circuit, so I would leave that in.   When I bring up a new board, before placing any components on it, I take a multimeter and check for any shorts.  Then I build the power supply and test it.  Next is CPU and essential decoupling caps.  Can the programmer talk to it?  Only after all that do I put other support parts on the board, again by section where I can test piece at a time.  This has worked well for me in the past.

When you use the KitProg, are you powering the board?  Use a multimeter and check voltages.Board Bringup.jpg

Above is an older version of my current project.  I had just added the SILabs Temp sensor when this pic was taken.  The size of this board was dictated by the size of the original it is to replace.  (I hate seeing unused board space!!!)

0 Likes

It there something using the VDDR near C6 and C7?  Seems they are a long ways from anything to be useful.  Decoupling caps should be as close as possible to whatever they are decoupling.

0 Likes

Thanks sincerely.

I do power the board while using the KitProg. I just placed all components on this board at once. Maybe I should follow your suggestions to do these step by step. I have to try it one more time.If the problem still happen,I have to redesign my board.

By the way,your PCB board looks beautiful !!

0 Likes

Thanks!   I get them made at OSHPark (oshpark.com)  I have found that they are the cheapest for just a couple boards if you live in the USA.  About 2 weeks from order to delivery for me. YMMV

Did you look to make sure there are no shorts?  I had made the following board:

Short Pins 13 to 14.jpg

I didn't see that short from pins 13 to 14 for quite a while.  This was of my first attempts to use a Electric Skillet to reflow.  I got the stencil for this done by OSHStencils  https://www.oshstencils.com/

Moral - Always look VERY carefully!  lol...

Good luck finding the issue with your board.  I will continue to try assisting you!

0 Likes

If I may ask, what tool are you using to layout your PCBs?  I have been using Eagle for the last few years.  I hope to upgrade to a better tool in the future, but Eagle has been doing a pretty good job so far.

0 Likes

Sounds very great ! In the place I live, about  four days from delivery for me here.

God bless me to find out the problem.

I am using Altium Designer software. It seems very easy and beginner-friendly,especialy for green hand just like me.haha

0 Likes

How is it going?  Have you gotten it to program?

0 Likes

Sorry, I'm busy these days. I think the psoc4 BLE chip I bought is damaged.  It works when I weld components in the PCB board  again.

0 Likes