How to know eap_type of enterprise security AP via the scan result?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi,

The scan snip code can return a list of APs including the AP using enterprise security.

However, the output does not tell which eap_type is being used if an AP is using enterprise security.

How to differentiate the enterprise security type (eap_type) for enterprise security via scan result?

0 Likes
1 Solution

As I know, there are no any IE to show which EAP method used in WPA/WPA2 enterprise! Only told it's support WPA/WPA2 only.

All authentication is process by supplicant, WiFi only forward EAPOL packet to supplicant.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

From the console snip code: join_ent()

For EAP_TYPE_PEAP, it needs to set inner identity.

Which means the developers need to know the eap_type before starting join AP but such information is not available from scan result.

The console snip code assumes the user will input the eap_type, but this won't work in practice.

The eap_type needs to be identified via scan result.

Can someone help?

mifo

0 Likes

As I know, there are no any IE to show which EAP method used in WPA/WPA2 enterprise! Only told it's support WPA/WPA2 only.

All authentication is process by supplicant, WiFi only forward EAPOL packet to supplicant.

I confirmed with the engineers that there is no provision to know eap_type from scan result. I agree with jone_yi_1844281​. STA/AP passes 802.11x message to supplicant and the supplicant determines the supported EAP type. This is typically done using 802.1x EAP Request message.