Delay between CyBle_ProcessEvents(), CyBle_EnterLPM(CYBLE_BLESS_DEEPSLEEP) and CySysPmDeepSleep()?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

My code works and I have not observed a bug (yet), but I was wondering what the recommended / correct sequence is. In pseudo code, I do the following after waking up from any interrupt:

// Step 1. Woke up from a interrupt. Process BLE events:

CyBle_ProcessEvents();

// Step 2. Event close state?

if(CyBle_GetBleSsState() == CYBLE_BLESS_STATE_EVENT_CLOSE)

{

// Update manufacturer specific part of advertisement packet

ble_app_update_adv_packet();

}

// Step 3. Manage BLESS power modes

CyBle_EnterLPM(CYBLE_BLESS_DEEPSLEEP);

// Step 4. ****** Now perform all other tasks; this can take long, e.g. 40 ms ******

// Step 5. Go into low power sleep mode (redacted example)

interrupt_status = CyEnterCriticalSection();

if(CyBle_GetBleSsState() == CYBLE_BLESS_STATE_DEEPSLEEP)

{

CySysPmDeepSleep();

}

CyExitCriticalSection(interrupt_status);

Please observe step 4 where other tasks are performed and can introduce a long delay between step 3 and step 5.

Is this correct and the lowest power solution, or must I swap step 3 and step 4 so that CyBle_EnterLPM() is called just before CyEnterCriticalSection()? Why?

Thanks in advance,

Pieter

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

The code looks fine. The critical section is required only for the system low power code. CyBle_EnterLPM(CYBLE_BLESS_DEEPSLEEP) need not be in the Critical section. But the code snippet in which check the BLE state and put the device to deepsleep must be inside critical section.

Thanks,

Hima

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

The code looks fine. The critical section is required only for the system low power code. CyBle_EnterLPM(CYBLE_BLESS_DEEPSLEEP) need not be in the Critical section. But the code snippet in which check the BLE state and put the device to deepsleep must be inside critical section.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The code looks good as @Hima said above. Just so you are aware however, the BLE chip won't necessarily wake up from low power mode upon the CPU waking up. For example, if a SPI or UART bus wakes up the CPU, then the BLE chip may still be asleep. This will cause issues if you then proceed to access the BLE chip APIs/functionality while it is still asleep. But, if you are only using the BLE peripheral to wakeup the device from deep-sleep, then I don't see you running into any problems