I2S transceiver

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I need to implement a I2S transceiver to perform some audio transform in PSoC, and add this PSoC into an existing I2S audio path. Obviously, I need a I2S receiver working in slave mode to receive audio and a I2S transmitter working in master mode to send out audio. I have problem here since there is no component capable of receive I2S in slave mode. So I ended up post my question here:

Is it possible to receive I2S in slave mode with PSoC?

Best Regards,

CY

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The only ready solution I can see so far is for PSoC3/5 a I2S-master.

When you are REALLY in need of a I2C-slave you will have to implement it yourself using a PSoC3/5 (preferrably PSoC5), some of the internally availlable UDBs containing DataPaths and programming them in HDL using VeriLog.

Not an easy project but it can be solved.

So far I cannot see an easy solution for PSoC1

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The only ready solution I can see so far is for PSoC3/5 a I2S-master.

When you are REALLY in need of a I2C-slave you will have to implement it yourself using a PSoC3/5 (preferrably PSoC5), some of the internally availlable UDBs containing DataPaths and programming them in HDL using VeriLog.

Not an easy project but it can be solved.

So far I cannot see an easy solution for PSoC1

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

PSOC 4 also has I2S -

http://www.cypress.com/psoc4/?source=CY-ENG-HOMEPAGE&medium=Body-Products

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

On I2S specfication from Philips. There are sugested crcuit for reference.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Some additional info -

http://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4390981/Common-inter-IC-digital-interfaces-for-audio-data-transfe...

http://search.analog.com/search/default.aspx?local=en&query=i2s&contentType=Application_Notes%2cTech...

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks to your informative response about the UDB feature availibility among different PSoC series. Now I know that PSoC1 is probability not what I am looking for. It is also good to know that UDB allow custom logic design.

Best Regards,

CY

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

It could be tempting to use a PSoC4 which comes on a VERY cheap (&4) prototyping board but it has got only 2 UDBs which might be too tough.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Even though PSOC 4 has only 4 UDBs it has additional fixed function

HW like 2 SCB blocks and 4 16 bit timer/counter blocks, which UDBs

often consimed by. So for a $ 1 - $ 2 part, with ARM core, not too shabby.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

All,

I too am interested in having an I2S Slave transciever. In my case I need both Rx and Tx in slave mode. I'm working on a project that involves taking L/R I2S data off a surround sound receiver, processing it, then re-inserting the data back into the receiver. I've sucessfully gotten the system to work on an Altera FPGA, but I used their built in mega-function FIR filter and I had to write my own I2S decoder and encoder in VHDL.

I'd like to port this project over to using the UDB and DFBs to implement the filtering on a PSOC5 chip. (I wish I had known about the PSOC5 planned obsolescence, I would've purchased the PSOC5LP). 

I've never used the built in filters on a PSOC design. I wonder if it can handle the math of my four 256-tap FIR filters, but I'd like to give it a try.

Question:

Why didn't they just build the I2S with Master and Slave options? It really couldn't have been that much more work.

Possible Solutions:

1- I could write some kind of FIFO that took the data in with the off chip master control signals and then allow data to come out based on the timing of the PSOC control signals (eg. sck, ws), but then I'd have to figure out how to syncronize the ws signals together so that the output data of the FIFO is frame or word aligned with the input to the PSOC I2S.

2- I could port my VHDL code to Verilog then import the decoder and encoders into the UDB blocks. This would probably be the easiest, asside from Cypress redesigning the I2S Component and making it backward compatible with the PSOC5 chips. (not likely to happen)

Any Suggestions?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Cypress will replace your PSoC5 (Kits and chips) with PSoC5 LP for only the shipping fee. So you will be able to use PSoC5 with the latest Creator versions.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

These might help -

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way to input I2S data in slave mode is to use an external asynchronous sample data converter (ASRC) chip like CS8421:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs8421.html

You just config both the input and the output ports as slave by connecting 1k resistor from MSEL pin to GND.

Obviously that solution is not "bit perfect".

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I've never used the built in filters on a PSOC design. I wonder if it can handle the math of my four 256-tap FIR filters, but I'd like to give it a try.

What is the sampling rate you are targeting for each filter ? The PSOC 3/5/5LP has a DigitalFilter block,

current GUI capability is 2 channel, 128 taps total for its 2 channel architecture. Note each channel

can be a cascade of 4 individual stages, for example a cascade of 4 biquad stages. GUI supports

both IIR and FIR. PSOC 4 does not have a DFB, but does have a 32 x 32 single cycle multiplier, 32 bit

result.

The DFB is a general purpose block when used with the DFB assembler, so if the GUI is too limiting

you can roll your own. Coupled with DMA very capable architecture.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

0 Likes
paar_3882776
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have made one, and it took me two weeks. It is rough when you know nothing of UDBS, luckily I have imported the I2S master component and used it to find out how to do.

I made it for my open source audio amplifier, a project called Modac. It can be found here: Patrick Areny / Modac · GitLab

Please keep the copyright notice on this file, and share if you have something new.

Patrick

0 Likes