Patch to put firmware on external flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Attached is a patch for WICED v3.1.2 that creates a new platform BCM943362WCD4_ext. The platform is very similar to the WICED platform BCM943362WCD4. In fact its the same hardware. However this platform creates a read only filesystem and put the WIFI firmware (along  with any other resources ) in to this file system, the file system can then downloaded in to the external flash using the normal multi application targets. For example, use the make target

snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4_ext download download_apps

to create and test the scan application.

PS: a preliminary untested version was released before, however this one is tested and belief to be working.

Regards,

Bassem

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bassem, thank you very much!

It works.

I am grateful for your help!

I was trying to do the same and was close... But my changes did not quite work as I muddled up with one of the make files. 🙂

Thanks one again!

Oleg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

your welcome !

0 Likes

Bassem:

After a WiFi image firmware is stored in external serial Flash, how can it be executed?  In order to execute the images, it seems to me that the external image needs to be loaded into internal code flash, overwriting something else, then executed from internal code flash, then swapped out again when not needed.  What if all internal code flash is needed for the application, and cannot be overwritten?  This seems to be the case for WiFi code.  I am totally confused by this method and I look forward to your clarification. 

Thanks, Garry.

0 Likes