Ordering components for collecting PCB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hello I was looking for small PSoC development board to order, but couldn't find any. If anyone knows smaller PSoC board then PSoC 3 starter kit I'd really appreciate the help. That's the reason that I decided to collect my own PCB from PSoC components. I'm thinking to order CY8C3866AXI-040 component, but I noticed that the pins are very close to each other and it's impossible to collect manually. Is it possible to order components which pins are far from each other and would be possible to collect manually? I'm just starting and would really appreciate if someone could help me where to look for all the components? Thanks in advance   
0 Likes
27 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Gurgen, You said "CY8C3866AXI-040", Which has 100pins TQFP package. Between pins is 0.5mm, It's rather wide than MLF package. It can soldering by hand with carefully. As you know, SSOP pakage is more wide, 1.27mm. PVI-021 and PVI-070 has SSOP package. Would you chose this device?   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are here in the Software - forum but your request smells a bit like hardware, isn't it?

Until now, only PSoC1 devices come in DIL-package, preferrably the CY8C29466-pxsomething. There is a development kit for PSoC1 costing $40. The disadvantages using PSoC1 compared to PSoC3/4/5 are:

Only 8-bit CPU
Few registers
slow execution
No intrinsic debug-capabilities (or you have to by an ICE-Cube)

There are already PSoC boards in the Kit-store the cheapest is the PSoC4 Pioneer kit which even costs less than the PSoC1 kit, It is programmable to your needs and you can debug your programs with breakpoints, variable inspection etc.

Have a look at the kits here: http://www.cypress.com/?id=2218&source=header

and here: http://www.cypress.com/?id=4749

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If yoiu are looking for development board, you might want to look at

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you google "youtube surface mount soldering" you will get

a number of hits on hand soldering.

In my experience most important tool in shop is a large 5 - 10X magnifying

optic you can use while working on fine pitch packages.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        TQFP is not easy for soldier but it is doable, we made our own samples and sometimes need to replace chips ourself. However, there are some ready made boards as suggest.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        My fault, 0.635mm for SSOP pitch.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I recently soldered a 100 pin TSOP package (0.5mm pitch) by hand - took only 5 minutes or so. You basically need only good flux and some solder wick...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that you can use a "USED" solder wick to do the soldering.

With a lot of flux, place the solder wick on the top of the pins and use a soldering iron on the top of the solder wick, the solder on the wick will transfer to the pins and the board.

I am still pratising and trying with different USED solder wick. (You need to fix the location of the chip to the PCB by solder the corners first)

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I have seen videos using a toaster oven and solder paste to reflow a part.

www.youtube.com/watch

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I even saw a "Soldering Station" built of a kitchen-cooktop (regulated) and a frying-pan with a lid. What really did astonish me was that it DID work. I admitt the regulator was a rather large one and far off my capabilities of designing a 1.5kW closed-loop regulator.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A friend of mine used a electric fry pan to do the soldering. The surface of the pan needs to be flat.
The PCB however seems a little bit twisted after the soldering. It is faster then solder by hand.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Flying pan is difficult to control the temperature. It usually use to melt many chips and collect those. I recommend you of Hot-plate.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

@Psoc73

Using a "Flying Pan" can be very difficult to handle, try it with sitting on a flying carpet .

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hey Everyone, Be careful, Someone is ambushing to tell a joke. Be careful.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like it is better to redesign the controller with PSoC.. PSoC rocks......

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, when soldering, keep cool.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep cool, use HOT iron for soldering   😄

Let's back to the topic. 

For DIP package. you may need to use PSoC1. The TQFP, it is doable, just need patient and practice.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Seriously, Hot air brower and cream solder paste is handy. I can work with it for MLF package likes a 27894. ( I can drag under-right corner 🙂   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSOC4s come in easy to solder QFPs, they are available to order on the cypress store and on distriutors. There will also be devices in SSOP and other packages but they are not available yet.

Hot air is great, but I prefer using a good temperature controlled solder iron and folder flux. The Hakkos are cheap and have good quality. Flux is extremelly important when soldering.

If you are not confortable soldering and designning your own board. I would recomend getting the FREESOC mini. it is really small with a psoc5 and programmer in it. Also the Schmart boards are good.

Finally the Pionner kit s the most economical way to start with psocs, but it only sports a PSOC4.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much this was really helpfull.

I though about all suggestions.

I'm thinking to choose EzPSoC (http://kmmankad.blogspot.de/2012/12/psoc35-hardware-options.html) done by Zeta.

As I understand I can programm it with miniprog3 and also has USB communication. There is also nice schematic which I can use.

Thanks Zeta for that.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. But the EzPSoC3 was designed and build by kmmankad.

he was actually the first one to post an open source board design for a PSoC3 device. With his design just make sure you use a older mask as otherwise the USBlines will short with the USB connector case.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        What's to do with PSoC?   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Is this another try of our advertising "friend" to get a foot into the door?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        xiaobingbing must lose the account.   
he is shame of east asia.   
who is leave it free?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope not. 

Very annoyed

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Obviously someone is watching now the forum and keeping the posts tidy. Glad to see that!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

the other day the guy was posting links to his aliexpress page, maybe we should let aliexpress know the guy is posting his unwanted links here, they might not be happy to hear that.

0 Likes