PSoC Creator 3.1 crashing then blue screen of death

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, me?  I like to stick with the version of software that I know works, and I always try to disable automatic updates.

Nevertheless, I found it reasonable recently to upgrade from PSoC Creator 2.2 to 3.1.  I think it was Friday; maybe Thursday.  I was immediately met with a reproducible crash.  Then today, I got a blue screen of death and a corrupted project file that would no longer open.  It temporarily lost my top design and code edits.  Fortunately, I have *hourly* automatic backups.  I was able to restore the project, including most recent top design changes (more than an hour old), then copy my free-standing c file back into the project, recovering my recent code edits.  I only lost about 2 hours, including the reboot and reload of other status stuff.

So I must get to the bottom of this problem, or go back to 2.2.

The reproducible crash situation occurs pretty much *any* time I try to edit a #macro in the source code.  This software tries to do real-time advance compiling and syntax checking, whatever you call that.  And I believe it is a problem with this and #macros.  If I try to type in  #include "filename.h", then the crash occurs 100% every time when I type the "e" finishing up "#include".  I've attached a jpg of the error message.  While I can type "#if 0" as I often do to temporarily remove a chunk of code, I get the same crash when I later type "#endif", right after finishing the word with the letter "f".

I don't know exactly what I was doing when the blue screen of death occurred.  I'll worry about that, I guess, if it happens again.

Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

-Helmut

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Since other PCs do not show this behave (I just checked mine) and nobody else has yet anounced a similar problem I'm afraid that the cause lies within your PC.

I have heard here in the forum that one guy had problems with the download which did not install and seemingly had a network problem. I suggest you to

de-install Creator 3.1, download the installation (bit more than 500MB) and re-install Creator with administrator rights.

If you have the time and want to do so, you may try to compare the download-files (before overwriting the old one - rename it) you can get some more information.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Min sys config from 3.1 release notes -

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Bob.  I do have the reinstall option in my back pocket.  However, I discovered yesterday that one project exhibits the problem and another doesn't.  So I'm going to take the offending project and strip it down.  I may find a particular aspect that's responsible for the behavior.  That will also tie in to being able to provide to the forum a project with that aspect, sans company confidential info, to see if it does indeed happen on other computers.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Better spare that work and give the offending project right to Cypress with a MyCase. Cypress will trat all informations as confidential and they have more tools to analyze the issue than we users have.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cypress found the problem, and it seems to be a general bug in 3.1.  I tried the recommended fix below, and it WORKED.

Cypress wrote:

Hello Helmut,

We are sorry for your inconvenience.

To solve this issue, just enter new line at end of your main.c file as follow:
323 /* [] END OF FILE */

Here, 324 is the last line number of main.c file.

We are thankful to you for pointing error in our PSoC Creator which will great helpful to improve future version of PSoC Creator.

Thanks and Regards,
Piyush
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Helmut, thank you for keeping us informed! I could reproduce the issue (I get an assertion only) and it goes away with the newline at end of file. Great nasty bug!

Above some newlines if you have got the same error

Bob

0 Likes