Best way to start with PSOC?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everybody

I'm a university student and new to PSOC5 world. I have done a couple of projects using PIC microcontrollers and I want to learn PSOC5.

I have been looking at the the kits and they seem a bit pricey. wich kit do you think I should buy?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to start with psoc5 I say get the CY8c-050 kit, otherwise the new PSOC4 Pioneer kit is the cheapest way to start but with a cortex-m0 PSOC4 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to start with psoc5 I say get the CY8c-050 kit, otherwise the new PSOC4 Pioneer kit is the cheapest way to start but with a cortex-m0 PSOC4 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoC!

Best Kit for your needs seems to be the -050 Kit. Make sure to get a new one with a PSoC5 LP. You will not get more for your money.

Have a look here http://www.cypress.com/?rID=51577&source=shop 

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Maybe you can manage to get your university into the Cypress University Alliance (http://www.cypress.com/?id=1163 )

Apart from that, the cheapest PSoC5 board available right now seems to be the FreeSoC mini (http://freesoc.net/ ). But this is not a Cypress board, though.

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Keep in mind there is a series of videos to get an overview

and a first level of knowledge -

www.cypress.com/     PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 101/192/103/104

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say get the PSoC4 kit first. as you should be able to get cypress support in case there are issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The psoc4 kit should introduce you to PSOC design, also install psoc creator and follow the example projects there to get a feel of how is a psoc design.

Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I would not recommend a PSoC4 Kit as a starter for getting acquainted to PSoCs. The chip is too small and the internal resources are quite difficult to handle. A PSoc1 is too difficult to debug, what remains is a PSoC3 or a PSoC5. From this starting point I would choose the larger of the two, a PSoC 5 LP development kit. When it comes to coding a real project, the PSoC5 has more capabilities and it is always easier to shrink a project into something smaller (cheaper) than using a bigger hrdware device.

Bob

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

A couple of observations -

1) You can port designs between PSOC 3, 4, 5 as they all use same tool, Creator,

and have roughly same catalog of components, PSOC 3 being closest to PSOC 5

in catalog.

2) Cost of a finished design from lowest to highest PSOC 4, PSOC 1, PSOC 3, PSOC 5,

"approximately". That is also ~ true of FLASH and SRAM size.

3) Core perfromance is ~

PSOC 4 fits in between 3 and 5

4) Debug is best in PSOC 3/4/5, less so in PSOC 1.

5) PSOC 4, 5 based on ARM cores, best code density.

6) Some HW differences, like TCPOWM and 32 x 32 in PSOC 4, DFB and DelSig in 3/5,

spend some time looking at page 1 of datasheets with summaries.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

TCPOWM should be TCPWM in prior post.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

wouldn't a miniprog3 plus one of the cheap psoc kits (freesoc mini/Pioneer/Schmartboard , etc ) be more cost effective, I mean a 050 kit is awesome but when it is time to build a dedicated circuit you will always need a miniprog.

HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Both FreeSOC (mini too) and Pioneer have a programmer on board, so you don't need a MiniProg for them. You this one only for the SchmartBoard PCB.

Anonymous
Not applicable
        I still think kits from Cypress would be better as would get better support from cypress. If have to pick one betside the PSoC4 pionner kit, I would get the 050 kit as it would give you more functions/features to use and learn,   
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for your comments, 

I'm going to get the CY8CKIT-050. I hope you won't mind if I pop up with a few noobish questions.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
        Nobody will hold your questions against you - as long as they are good questions 🙂 Don't expect the forum members to do your homework. Work through the example projects, try some stuff on your own, read through the tutorials (they are plenty in the community space at the Cypress site) and watch the videos... Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the wonderful world of PSoC!   
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome!

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

As suggested, try some of the examples and modify it to see how those components works. PSoC is a very flexible. It may be a little bit of confusion from people used to use other uC. , But once you learn how to use it, you would love it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

reading the manual and trying things for yourself before asking questions is the proper way to get help. If people think you are really working on it rather than just asking people to do your homework for you then they will be more inclined to help.