PGA: No signal setting any gain other than 1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I set up the example PGA and was encouraged to find that my audio signal (~25mv p-p) was passing through cleanly with no noise.  I need to set the gain higher before going onto the next step, but found that changing main.c to set any other gain than PGA_1_GAIIN_01 would cause the audio to stop completely.  Am I doing something wrong or is PGA unable to handle low amplitiude imput signal?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

It would be helpful (as always ) when you upload a complete workspace bundle here, so that we all can have a look at.

How is your signal fed in? Is there a V bias which gets amplified too?? Or are you using a capacitive coupling that would result in negative voltages on the input and needs to be shifted with a R-network???

Picture of your input-schematic would help us.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a typo in your original post and/or your code ? PGA_1_GAIIN_01

Should be PGA_1_GAIN_01

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the typo.

I'm using the PGA_ExampleProject01 from psoc creator 3.  Nothing modified except the gain value.  It's P0[2] in, with P0[3] out.

My input connection is a microphone (actually, a speaker being used as a microphone) with ground connected to VR on the devboard, and positive connected directly to the P0[2] input.

My output is going to a RS 277-1008 battery powered amplifier, with VR as ground and P0[3] as the output.

When I first run the unmodified PGA example, I get audio carried across between P0[2] and P0[3], visible on scope and audible in amplifier output.

Change the Gain to anything other than the 01 that comes in the example results in no audio.

Audio is very low amplitide - at most 25mv p-p.  I'm using this particular rig because it closely simulates a guitar output, which is what I want to pre-amp before doing other signal processing with the PSoC.  I'm hopeful that I'm just doing something wrong, as opposed to these signals being too low level to connect directly to the micro without a separate preamp.

I'm attaching a screen grab of the pga arrangement from the example for clarity.  Not yet sure about workspace bundle yet, last I played with PSoC Creator was back when PSoC 1 had just come out.  It's a lot more powerful now.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I realize my description of my connections may be a bit confusing, so I've drawn it out (attached).

I made a presumption that the VR (about 1.2v) would be a good reference, that could be wrong.  I also presumed I could skip capacitive decouple on the input since all my gear is battery powered (amplifier, scope) and ground can be whatever I connect it to.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay - problem solved.

I realized the vref was set to internal, changed that to external and connected it to my common analog ground AND the VR pin as a stable voltage and wham the 16 gain setting works great!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Fine to hear that it works now for you!

Bob

0 Likes