Locating unconnected nets/shapes

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does one tell which components correspond to which shapes/networks? My project will not build and I have been over this for 3 hours, there is nothing at any zoom level that I can see that is unconnected that shouldn't be. I'm beginning to think there's some kind of infinitessimal line segment that got accidently generated or something...so how do you locate it? The report is telling me the shape number and network number that failed, so how do I use that information to fix the schematic? I can't see anything in properties that correspond to these network/shape numbers.

0 Likes
18 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Is the net nimber 127?

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

To tell a bit more: I had a similar error when I worked on an old 2.0 project with Creator 2.1. I tried hard, but was not able to reproduce it.

I deleted ALL components from the schematic, so nothing was left and the error still persisted. Since it was only a small project I reproduced the schematic and put the issue aside.

Will you please make a copy of the Project, file a technical case and submit all the information to the Cypress-staff.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I had something similar but can start with a new project. I think it would be better if can highlight the part on the schematic that has the error. Or a function to automatically remove unconnected nets.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I am afraid (from my experiences with software) that there are no real unconnected nets and that the error is produced by accident, rather sw-malfunction. The proof was my deleting all the components. The unconnected nets should have been highlighted but weren't. Probably the location were off-schematic. I think, that Cypress, when getting hands on such a mal-formed project, will be able to debug the software and to "remove the cause and not the symptom" (Rocky Horror Show).

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You double clicked the Notice View list error which usually hi-lights in red the

offending item on the schematic ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, of course. And the error was not highlighted and as far as I remember it was concerning (twice) net 127 (or 128).

Removing all visible nets did not remove the error and finally removing everything didn't change anything either, the unconnected nets still remained.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Bob, my question was directed at the aviator, should have made that clear.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dana and Bob: wow guys, thanks for jumping all over this.

The net involved is #227, shape 263. I've included the workspace bundle if you're at all curious. The project is 'Hamburglar' (sorry, I'm goofy, those are the kind of filenames I generate).

Dana: no, I do not notice ANYTHING highlighted in red after the aborted build. If I go and monkey with something obvious in the schematic then I get errors that point to components I can actually see.

Yes Bob, I will be sending this on to the tech help folks and once resolved will share with the community.

By the way everyone, if you see anything in my files you want to use for your own projects, be my guest...I'm flattering myself to suggest it given my Mickey Mouse ideas/skills, but I just want to put it out there.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dana: your post was very helpful. After clicking the offending "shape" in the Notification View Tab, I saw a small line segment underneath the top D Flip Flop...somehow I just managed to miss it every single time! Removal of that line segment made it build. Of course, Ihad other errors 🙂 but they were readily surmountable.

Thanks again guys! I guess the moral lesson on this one was to think to check UNDER components...these had been moved around a bunch of times so I guess it was no surprise.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess, my last comment I'll address to Cypress...

Dear Cypress, would it be possible in future versions of Creator to have any unconnected nets autodeleted on build, or maybe prompt to autodelete?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having this same issue - when I click "go to error" it will open the schematic (on the last page I selected) but I cannot see anything highlighted. This happened after I deleted a piece of the schematic. The errors I'm getting are:

sdb.M0017: No drivers on signal "Net_806", bit(s)"0"

Signal: Net_806

Shape_492

And

sdb.M0017: No drivers on signal "Net_805", bit(s)"0"

Signal: Net_805

Shape_491

I hover over every item on the schematic and none are Net_805/6 or Shape_491/2. In fact, I don't see any "Shape_" items?

Please let me know how I can clear this error and continue development!?!?!

thanks

Mark

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When in a state like that I could only rewrite the schematic starting from scratch. Sometimes even Cut&Paste copied the hidden errors.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

One other thing I found helpful, is to set schematic on high view magnification,

sometimes I would have tiny nets that could not be seen w/o high mag, and they

would be tiny isolated pieces, which needed to be deleted. How they got there

can only be described as "magical"

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest to re-do the whole circuit again. Sometime it is faster this way.

BTW. looks like we have two 'dana' now, or is there some error on the system creating a clone of the real dana?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all for the advice. I tried all the methods and none worked  Fortunately the errors didn't stop the build, so I was able to continue developing, but with those ugly and scary errors.

Then - after several days - the unconnected nets/shapes errors magically disappeared!!?!?! All is good again.

Hmmmmph.

Onwards!

Mark

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I have found the unconnected nets in the upper left corner of the design page (as far to the top/left as you can go). Zoom in there and look for the unconnected nets. Why PSOC Creator puts them there is unknown.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Just to confirm, you mean the nets/symbols got moved to the extreme upper

left corner of schematic page ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
jotic_1250681
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given Code Expert

Go to the View menu item on the top line of PSoC Creator and Zoom Out so you can see the entire schematic and the area around it.  You want to see the blue border and some gray space around the white schematic area.  Then double click on the net-list error.  You'll probably find a highlighted connection or "loose" wire somewhere in the white area.  I got a net-list error and by zooming out and double clicking on the error message I discovered an unconnected wire superimposed on the blue boundary line.  Impossible to see by just looking at the schematic without zooming out.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes