DFB assembler microcode simulation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaVa_282241
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello,

I would like accomplish next operation in DFB block:

When signal In1 present take value of stage A register and execute in MAC operation A*A . Computed value then put to holding register A.

I tryied to use simulator integrated in component but value of MacOut in output box is still zero.

Could you give me some advise please?

My code is below:

initial:
  acu(hold,hold) dmux(srm,srm) alu(hold) mac(clra) 
  acu(hold,hold) dmux(srm,srm) alu(hold) mac(hold) jmp(eob, waitfordata)
waitfordata:
  acu(hold,hold) addr(1) dmux(ba,ba) alu(hold) mac(macc) jmpl(in1,write_bus)   
write_bus:
  acu(hold,hold) dmux(srm,srm) alu(seta) mac(hold)
  acu(hold,hold)addr(1) dmux(srm,srm) alu(setsem,001) mac(hold)write(abus)  
  acu(clear,clear) dmux(srm,srm) alu(hold) mac(hold)jmpl(eob,waitfordata)

0 Likes
21 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi skrcek

Low level DFB is very interesting for me but this very very hard programming. More example will be better.

Kamil

P.S. sorry i not help you but very interesting theme

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Skrcek,

I have modified your code (below). I hope this is what you are expecting.

The code works as follows:

Value is loaded from Staging register A (Bus 1). This value is multiplied, Sem 0 is set and multiplied result is written to holding register.

Note:

1. All DFB registers are 24 bit. The filter coefficients should be converted to the appropriate format and loaded in the 24 bit Staging registers. If all the coefficients are less than +/-1, then all the calculations will result in 23 bits for decimal points and one for sign format. This simplifies the calculations inside DFB as no shift operation is needed at intermediate nodes so as to align the data in the same format.

2. Please read the datasheet for adding appropriate wait cycles for specific instructions wherever required

// Clear ACU modflag and clear ACU
initial:
acu(clear,clear) dmux(sa,sa) alu(set0) mac(hold)
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(clra) jmp(eob, waitfordata)

// Wait for data in Channel 1 Input Register
waitfordata:
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold) jmpl(in1,write_bus) 

write_bus:
acu(hold,hold) addr(1) dmux(ba,sa) alu(seta) mac(hold)    // Load value from staging register A
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(clra)                  // Multiply
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sm,sa) alu(seta) mac(hold)               // Move MAC o/p to ALU
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold)                // Wait for 1 cycle

acu(hold,hold)addr(1) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold) write(abus)       // Write the result to holding register 
acu(hold,hold)addr(1) dmux(sa,sa) alu(setsem,001) mac(hold)               // Set Sem 0
acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold) jmp(eob,waitfordata)

Regards,

Aniruddha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa, where did you find the assembler reference/mneumonics for the DFB itself? I too would love to be able to use the DFB for things other than just digital filtering per se.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Porcine,

DFB datasheet mentions about the assembler reference/mnemonics. Please refer "DFB Assembler" section in the datasheet. You might also want to read the TRM to understand the hardware as well.

Regards,

Aniruddha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am very interested in offloading some multiplications to the DFB MACC (using PSOC5 LP). I am currently writing a 16 bit number to the holding register, which I want to square (A*A) and then write the output to the staging register. I have a decent understanding of the assembler instructions however I have never been able to see a value in the simulation output other than the values that are on Bus1 or Bus2 (Bus values used for simulation purposes) . 

I have tried many combination of pipeline delays, MACC, DMUX commands etc and have never seen evidence of a multiply in the simulator. I have also tried all of the assembler code that I could find written by others, including the code above, and never see a multiplied value or output. Can anyone point me to code that will work in the simulator?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ollie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ollie,

I guess you meant that you are feeding input to staging register and reading the output through holding register.

Here is the general DFB assembler code used for multiplying two numbers. In this case, giving the same input to both staging registers A and B would give you the square of that number.

" initial:

acu(clear, clear) dmux(sa,sa) alu(set0) mac(hold)

acu(setmod, setmod) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(clra) jmp(eob, waitForNew)

// Wait for data to be written to Staging Registers

waitForNew:

acu(hold,hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold) jmpl(in1,in2,dataRead)   

// Read New Data from Staging Register and multilpy and put dat to holding register B

dataRead:

acu(hold, hold) addr(1) dmux(ba,sa) alu(seta) mac(hold)   //Move data from staging register A to ALU o/p

acu(hold, hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold)    //Wait for ALU output

acu(hold, hold) addr(0) dmux(sa,ba) alu(hold) mac(clra)  //Multiply staging register B & ALU o/p

acu(hold, hold) dmux(sm,sa) alu(seta) mac(hold)  //Move MAC o/p to ALU

acu(hold, hold) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold)   mac(hold)  //Wait for ALU output

acu(hold, hold) addr(0) dmux(sa,sa) alu(hold) mac(hold) write(bus) jmp(eob,waitForNew) // Write the result to holding //register B"

Kindly test the same and let us know if you are able to square a number.

Regards,
Asha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Asha,

Thanks for the quick response. 

Your right I got the registers mixed up in my previous post. I have tried your code in the DFB assembler. I'm still having issues. Here is my process.

1. Paste Code into assembler
  3. Input a value into Bus1 Line1 and Bus2 Line2 (e.g. 0xA and 0xA to represent a square)
  5. Click Assemble (Completes with no errors)
  7. Click Simulate

--------------- Simulation Started: 09/06/2013 08:17:05 ---------------

DFB Simulator version 3.0.0

--------------- Input data ---------------

Bus1 Data:

Bus2 Data:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cycle RamA RamB Ram CFSM  Aaddr Baddr    A2Mux    B2Mux   MacOut   AluOut ShiftOut 

sel state next  next 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0    0    2   A     0     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

1    1    2   A     1     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

2    3    2   B     2     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

3    3    2   A     2     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

4    4    2   A     2     0     0        A        0        0        0        0 

5    5    2   A     2     0     0        A        A        0        A        A 

6    6    2   A     2     0     0        A        A        0        A        A 

7    7    2   A     2     0     0        A        A        0        A        A 

8    8    2   A     1     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

9    3    2   B     2     0     0        0        0        0        0        0  busr1= 0

10    3    2   A     2     0     0        0        0        0        0        0 

Bus input data exhausted: Simulation terminating.

--------------- bus2_out:

0.000000000000e+000

--------------- Simulation Complete: 06/09/2013 08:17:05 ---------------

I'm unsure if the simulation output is correct. Anyway I have wrote some simple C code to check to see if it works once programmed to my PSOC5LP.   

DFB_1_LoadInputValue(1,0xA);    

DFB_1_LoadInputValue(0,0xA);    

DFB_1_GetOutputValue(0);   

I have removed the initialisation code from this post. Maybe it would be easier if I uploaded my project here.    

I'm not getting any multiplied output from this at the moment. Any ideas?   

Thanks, Ollie.   

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ollie,

DFB block returns only the upper 24 bit output of the 48-bit MAC unit. Here, since your inputs are "0x0A" and "0x0A", 48-bit MAC's output is 0x000000000064. Since the DFB block can provide only the upper 24 bit output, the output which you notice will be 0.

So, try out with a different number (say 0x300000) where you can get an upper 24 bit output..

Regards,

Asha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

FYI, the MAC unit in DFB shifts the result of its computation to the left side by 1 bit since there will be 2 bits corresponding to sign when I multiply two signed numbers.

Regards,
Asha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am new to PSoC and for my internship I am trying to get the following logical operation carried out using the DFB:

There are two inputs A and B (A, B can be 0 or 1) and one output (0 or 1). If A is 0, output nothing; if A is 1, output B.

Truth table: 

A B Output

0 0 -

0 1 -

1 0 0

1 1 1

The output is supposed to be stored in the local (DFB) memory in form of a sequence of 0s and 1s. I believe I require a simple Compare and Jmp operation, which determines whether to store B or discard the value by checking the value of A, and another Shift and Add operation to keep adding the new bit to a register by shifting the existing sequence to the left by 1 bit. When the DFB registers are full I need to generate an interrupt and transfer the data in DFB memory to main memory. 

While I know some assembly language programming, I find the DFB assembler quite confusing. Can anyone who's familiar with the DFB assembly suggest how to execute this? Thank you for your help in advance! 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This looks like a simple AND and would best be done with an AND-gate or a look-up table (LUT) component. No job for the digital filter block which is used to manipulate frequencies within a digitized input stream.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I did not know about the LUT (I'm really a beginner lol). It looks promising! 

Now the reason I wanted to use DFB in the first place is because it has its own ALU,MAC and memory. As I mentioned I need to store the output sequence continuously in a register and then simultaneously output them through the UART when memory is full, without interrupting the collection of data (this is essential to the experiment I am doing).

Can you suggest a way of storing the output sequence without involving the main CPU which can carry out data transfer operations?

Again, thanks a lot for helping out! 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The underlying CPU is a 32-bit ARM M3 core which is a powerful device, so sometimes there is no need to save cpu power.

Data transfer can be done with DMA without CPU intervention after it has been set up. Transferring data via UART is a comparable slow process and is often done interrupt driven.

A PSoC contains a lot of hardware you may use for your purpose, besides the DFB there are 24(!!!) programmable ALUs working on 8-bit items which may be of some more interest for your solution

Can you tell us a bit (or byte) more about your experiment, where come the data from, at which speed, kind of signal(analog or digital) digital width of signal etc.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for your reply!

After searching a little more on your forums I am now looking at the possibility of designing a UDB based custom Verilog component which can exactly and optimally meet my needs. 

My experiment involves obtaining data from a pulsed laser through APDs (Avalanche Photo-Diodes) and analyze them through a PSoC 3. The final puse width is 150 ns. The speed of the input data is variable and depends on source laser/ APDs etc. My initial target is to analyze an input rate of 20,000/s. As the input rate is kinda in my control I want to do as well as possible with the PSoC. Do you think the memory on PSoC and speed of UART is sufficient to handle the input and transfer to external memory without interrupting the collection of input data? Can you suggest any faster alternative to the UART?

One more thing, since the UART always outputs a chararcter (1 byte) but I have a sequence of single bit data, is there a way I can read binary data on my computer? I am using Tera Term. My current procedure is to receive char and then convert back into binary. But it's not error free and it wastes 1 bit in a byte. 

Regards

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You can use an 8-bit UDB solution that reads in your serial bit-datastream (performing the AND operation on-the-fly) and putting the result into an 8-bit shift register. This will reduce your data collection frequency a bit (byte). Using the UDB's FIFO you now get some headroom to move the results out: first approach by interrupt, second approach by DMA.

Is there a reason why you cling to PSoC3 device? The PSoC5 has got quite more SRam and a faster CPU. There is a prototyping kit availlable that will fit your needs.

Some rough calculations:

You expect 20ksps. this is not yet high-speed. Your UDB can run at 48MHz and when considering 4 instructions-steps to handle a probe you can end up in 12Msps. So this is no bottleneck. Even considering a shift-register at the input of your ANDed A and B inputs will be able to follow that So put the UDB-design apart for the REAL challenge.

Let's take the 20ksps: divide by 8 = 2500Bytes/s (Bps) times 12 (Start and stop-bits from UART) = 30kBaud which is a fairly handable transmission rate.

Now for the goodies: The above mentioned Prototyping Kit has got a usable USB-UART bridge that allows you to send data to your PC at a rate of 115200 Baud.

So your problem can be reduced to

• Getting hands on a CY8CKIT-059
  •     
  • One day reading, programming and testing
  •     
  • 3 days documentating 😉
  •     
  • One day off pretending you need some time for reconvalescense
  •    

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the insight and suggestions! I wonder if there's any particular advantage of using a 'shift register' as I can do a shift and add in the UDB implementation and then use FIFO to move data etc. I need to read up a little more lol

The reason I am working with PSoC 3 is because it has been previously used by my research group and other groups for many years for their satellite projects and is therefore very well documented by the community.  I have to use the existing board they use on satellite for my expt and it has a PSoC 3 processor. I don't know if I can just use a PSoC 5 with the same board.

I do have a PSoC 5 (CY8C55) with me and I plan to use it later in my internship for testing and improving the experiment, but I need to get it running with PSoC 3 first. 

Regards

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Some useful references -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=37793     AN52705     Getting Started with DMA

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=82680     AN84810     PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP Advanced DMA Topics

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=44335     AN61102 PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP - ADC Data Buffering Using DMA

http://video.cypress.com/video-library/search/dma/     Videos on DMA

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dma+psoc Videos on DMA (some overlap)

Are you planning on a control loop for Laser current control ?

Some boards -

www.cypress.com/psoc3/

www.schmartboard.com/index.asp

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dana!

I am not specifically working on current control loop for lasers. My work is more 'information processing' on the laser output at the single photon level. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I suggested the shift-register because it already has got everything you need ready-to-use:

It has got a shift-in at up to 52MHz(!!!), it has got a store-signal which would load the FIFO with the current register value and it has got a DMA interface which will immediately transfer from the FIFO to a memory location.

Rapid Application Design: Use as much as there is already made and tested to perform project tasks.

Understanding PSoC3 DMA might be a challenge, but I can assure you: It does work!

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

I don't get at which point you need UDB or DFB resources for measuring pulse amplitude. It is my understanding that all you want is to measure amplitude of the ~150ns pulses coming from APD and transfer it to PC. So:

1. slow down pulses to ~1us for PSoC using one of the OPAMP or trans-impedance amplifier.

2. use sample and hold to strobe max value

3. sample it with ADCSAR (8bit is likely enough)

4. transfer data to citcular buffer in memory

5. Use USBUART to transfer data from memory to PS in blocks (UART at 115k will handle only ~10kB/sec).

odissey1

0 Likes