PSoC Creator 2.2 SP1 (complete istallation) can't start on PC with 448 MB RAM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3

In order to get acquainted with the PSoC 4, I decided to play with the PSoC Creator 2.2 SP1. However, my home PC is 

slightly below the minimum requirements to run this program - it was older than 5 years  or so. 

Namely, the lack of RAM and slow USB ports. And yet, in recent times due to worn-out "hardware", BSoD-s occur regularly. 

That's such an extreme installation. 

After several attempts, I managed to perform the installation. 

However, each program run ended with an error. According to the results of several installations, it became clear that it is one and the same error. 

Message (approx.) 

"Psoc_creator.exe - found an error. Needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience" 

issued after 

"Initializing ... CyDesigner.Common.Debugger.CyPPDeviceIO.CyPPDeviceIOPlugin"

In addition, the installation with the same distribution file to a higher quality office computer was performed with no 

problems on the first try.

I assume that the error is due to lack of RAM.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

RAM seems to be the reason, have a look here http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=58205 at the minimum / recommended system requirements

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

RAM seems to be the reason, have a look here http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=58205 at the minimum / recommended system requirements

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Keep in mind Creator uses a routing tool, which is PC RAM hungry, much like FPGA design.

If you look at Xilinx systrem requirements they extend to 32 GB of RAM in order to be

able to route the larger designs.

Routing tools will choke on RAM starved PCs, crash much of the time. If they don't crash

be prepared to see your grandchildren grow up before the routes finish.

Regards, Dana.

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

One othere comment, Win XP SP2 and 3 wants to have just for Windows ~

768K RAM, otherwise is  really slow just opening simple stuff like Word, IE........

Regards, Dana.,

Anonymous
Not applicable
        Dana-san's saying is much awesome LOL   
AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3

Unfortunately, my prediction was wrong. I have already added to the PC 512 MB of RAM. But the error remains. 

The error occurs equally in any amount of RAM in the system, from 64 to 768 MB. In fact, as shown in 

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=58205 the minimum / recommended system requirements

the program is very slow at values less than 512 MB of RAM, but runs up to 256 MB.

As I can see in Event  view, every start of program ends up with error with ID=1023 and description

".NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error 

(7A097706) (80131506)"

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Then you might file a case on this -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a MyCase”

Regards, Dana.

HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

When your computer is already so bad it generates BSoDs, than it is very likely that some core component is defective (RAM, CPU, hard disk).

You can try to replace then whole memory with new memory modules to rule out the first one. Or you can re-install creator (preferrably to a new directory) to rule out the latter one (a byte-wise compare of both installation should tell you that they are both the same).

Sometimes it happens that a defective hard disk (or cable, or disk controller) just flkips some bits - and even only one in the wrong place can wreak havoc...

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

My personal experience is most BSOD due to drivers, after all silicon lasts

forever (NOT ). My biggest past issues dating back to DOS are graphics

driver errors. When the memory dump occurs there are tools to look at this,

and typically the offending code f() is listed at top of dump.

Regards, Dana.

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

A little BSOD info -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

Regards, Dana.

AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3

BSoD-s stopped. 

While the upgrade, rearranged all DIMM-s in various combinations on all sockets several times, possibly repaired poor contact. Furthermore, only one of the three modules old SDRAM remained in the system.

However, the error is still the same as before the upgrade.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your system may have been corrupted already. May be time to re-install the windows system.

AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3
        Maybe I need to reinstall Windows. But since the other programs work without any obvious problems, and an error occurs with the ". NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053", first I'll replace this program.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Are you able to compile at least simple programs (e.g. just an input pin connected to an output pin, to light up a LED with a button press)? I have already used Creator 2.2 on a virtualized WinXP(SP3) system with just 512MB RAM, and it worked (though it gets faster with more RAM). Btw: if you suspect that missing RAM is the reason, just add more swap space to windows.

But I think that either your memory is still a problem, or your Creator installation is already corrupted.

Anonymous
Not applicable
        Interesting. Have you tried both designer and creator with the virtual XP mode, and also the programmer software?   
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I did try only Creator in VirtualBox (even with larger projects than I mentioned), and I did also program my -001 kit with it from the virtual machine.

AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3

When I run the program, it shows the start-up image and text at the same time gives a loading message, and then about the initialization of the components of the program. When initialization is finished, a couple of seconds, an error message and a proposal to close the program.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
        This really sound like a corrupted installation of Creator. Try to remove is, and then reinstall it. (It might just be that the problematic RAM modules corrupted the files to be copied)   
Anonymous
Not applicable
        when you have frequent BSOD, it is a sign that the windows system may be corrupted. The best way is to either perform a windows recovery first or just re-install windows.   
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

This might help -

www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-bsod.html

Regards, Dana.

AzGa_264406
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks HL, Your recomendations were right. I install the Creator into another partition with no problems.

Before this I tryed to reinstall the Framework and Creator on previous partition, without sucсess. Obviously the windows there is "slightly" corrupted or something else with the system is wrong.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad the problem is fixed. But that is microsoft windows!!!