PSOC5 to 5LP upgrade issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins First solution authored 25 replies posted
        Trying to understand the upgrade issues. The upgrade web page says "Obsolete"!! Getting ready to spin a new board here and wanted to see if changing to 5LP was a good step. One thing that would make a big difference is better DAC's. 8 bits is not enough. And the main improvement would be in the native compiler/debugger. I understand that the Creator 3.0 cannot be used with the non LP version, but are the code editor and debugger upgraded in the 3.0 creator? I can give a long list of missing features for them... Thanks, Russ   
0 Likes
8 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

For DACs take a look at     -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=47478    AN64275

In 3.0 Creator basically the old non LP parts taken out of the device catalog. You can see

comments about this in release notes -    

http://www.cypress.com/psoccreator/

Migration and using 5LP

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=60890    AN 77759

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Dana. Thanks for the references.  Unfortunately the given methods of achieving more resolution will not work for our application.  We require four 10 bit DAC's and paralleling IDACS would only give us two.  Dithering would work, I guess, but I am concerned about the effect (on system bus noise) of constantly switching the DAC's.  Our application requires measurement and control of some very low level signal sources and noise must be kept to a minimum.  I think the best solution for us will be add external DAC's to our board...

I was unable to find any references to what, if any, Improvements have been made in the 3.0 creator as regards the programming GUI and debugging.  It is obvious that the compiler/debugger are developed from the Microsoft Visual Studio model, probably using development tools supplied by MS.  That is great because it provides a very familiar development environment for me.  However there is a lot missing.

Here are just a few examples:  The code editor does not allow one to set and remove bookmarks and move the view position to next or previous bookmark.  The only option is to bookmark every instance of a word search - and that is almost useless since there is no way to quickly find the next/previous bookmark.

The extremely handy search field in VS (Visual Studio) is missing.  It allows one to quickly search to the next/previous instance of a search word or phrase. It has the added capability of automatically loading the search field with the currently selected text, if desired.  This simple inclusion would drastically improve the user experience and efficiency.

The debugger works pretty well but one critical missing element is conditional breakpoints!  Even a hit count before breaking is missing.  These things can somewhat be worked around by adding special breakpoint code, but that is inconvenient and sometimes can mask or change the problem being debugged.

I could go on and on..  Suffice it to say; I would LOVE to hear that Cyprus had upgraded the development environment in the newer version.

I have a current serial IO problem that I will address in a new topic.

Thanks again, Russ

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Probably not quite clear from documentation:

- there ARE conditional breakpoints

- there ARE hit counts

-the switching from PSoC5 to PSoC5 LP was IMHO not a real improvement of the device, but a correction of some features that didn't work as promised. I've heard people sa that the LP is the PSoC5 as it should have been

No improvements have been made concerning the analog precisions, resolution is still the same. When in need of a higher resolution a separate DAC should be considered or a PWM could be used.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The extremely handy search field in VS (Visual Studio) is missing.  It allows one to quickly search to the next/previous instance of a search word or phrase.

Yes, find has a search window with a next button, as well as search at various global and file/project levels.

In so far as DACs, if you can live with settling time you could get up to 12 (twelve) 16 bit DACs

by using PWMs followed by LP filter (RC or integrator). Your tradeoff settling time for ripple in

filter design. See attached info.

When you set a BP, right click it and you can set a condition for it.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Note the DACs would be unbuffered. However if you wanted buffered

then you could have up to 4 buffered DACs, due to the limitation of the

number of available OpAmps.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4
        Hi Bob. Sorry about that. I was trying to use the Debug menu to change an existing BP to a conditional, like in the MS debugger. Did not think of trying the right click. That helps a lot.   
0 Likes
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4
        h I see, you have to right click on the red marker to the left of the line, not on the line. Not too intuitive, but glad there is a way to do it... Russ   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

In Creator->Help->Topics you may search the index for "breakpoint" giving you an idea what else is possible.

Bob

0 Likes