Something about Cypress's BLE chip processing power.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, I have a question that whether Cypress's BLE chip can do a lot floating point operation or not?   
0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum and in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

The BLE chip is basically a PSoC4 which I used to control a quad-copter which needed a lot of math functions using floats. No problems at all (exept debugging my errors ).

The core of a PSoC BLE is an ARM M0 which you may run at 48MHz and that is quite performant!

So what do you actually want to do with your PSoC BLE?

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The PSoC4 with its Cortex-M0 core don't have a dedicated floating-point unit, but it got a single-cycle 32-bit hardware multiplier. So all floating point operations are done in software.

Its still quite fast though. I made some performance measurements - calculating a vector length (3 integer multiplications, two add, and a FP square root) takes about 50µs (2400 cycles) without any optimizations.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Here is some FFT performance numbers -

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=4749&rID=82225

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Thanks for everyone! And one more question, will the BLE stack cost a lot of the chip's RAM and ROM?   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: Download and install Creator 3.1 and compile one of the PSoC4 BLE examples and look for youself at the used SRam and flash.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

From my experience: the PSoC4 BLE has more RAM and flash than the normal PSoC4, and the BLE stuff needs less than this difference. So even with BLE in use you have plenty of resource. Sure its not a PC with 8Gb of memory, but for small devices its plenty.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Thanks a lot! I'll try later.   
0 Likes